Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject <<Scientific prediction as to the Sun and Dec 21, 2012>>
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message hey folks,

I suppose this isn`t going to be a doom thread, so if you are looking for it just hit the "return" button.

I found this graph of solar flux, sunspot number, and AP-index for the last year (November 2011-Oktober 2012) very interesting. (from solen.info)

[link to imageshack.us]

I marked the peaks which are very clearly noticeable. The regular cycle begins in April (the peaks are also visible before this date, yet not so clearly defined) with the trough being on April 10th, the peak on April 22nd, and the second trough on May 1st. Notice that especially the last 8 peaks are very distinct and clearly marked. This is due to the active regions located currently (and for the last months) on one side of the sun. This means that half of the sun is pretty much blank of sunspots whereas the opposite side is very active. I am not a scientist per se, but it is interesting to notice that the active regions show up so regularly over the last months.

This pattern can be explained by the sun's roation as it takes about 25 days for one rotation (at 16° latitude). This means that every 25 days we face the same side of the sun again- thus, explaining the cycle in the graph above. As the cycle has been so consistent it is possbile to predict if we will face the unsettled region of the sun on Dec 21, 2012 or not. I looked at the length of each cycle and calculated the average which is 25,33 days. (On a side note this is exactly the average which is listed on wikipedia for the sun's rotation at 16° latitude (25,38 days) so my calculations are pretty good). The peaks in between are on average 12,66 days.

If we do some simple maths we get:

Oktober 31st (starting with the trough on the graph) + 25,33 days + 25,33 days we get (this was kind of surprising) Dec 21st, 2012!

This means that we will be in a lull in solar activity on Dec 21st, 2012 as the active side will be on the opposite side from the Earth. The peaks, respectively, will be on December 8th and January 3rd.

This is my personal prediction for the "doomsday", take it for what you will.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP