Users Online Now: 1,353 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 252,308
Pageviews Today: 404,906Threads Today: 152Posts Today: 2,663
04:22 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Just visited with a Democrat business associate of mine from Boston...
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message He's a full-blown, blue Democrat, and a person I consider to be highly intelligent and very professional (in business), so I thought it would be interesting to hear his perspective on the political side of things.

First, I asked who he was voting for, and he of course said Obama (while holding his nose - which was interesting). While he was not thrilled with Obama's performance since 2008, his biggest concern was on the social front, and what impact a Romney presidency might have on what I like to call "liberal rights." He thought Obama was more aligned with him in this regard, and this was really the ONLY reason he could give for voting to give Obama another four years.

This was a bit surprising to me, so I then began to question him on a myriad of issues, to see what he thought and how he formed those opinions.

1) What News sources do you rely on? - Mainly CNN and CNBC, but also watch Fox periodically (I think he was maybe trying to pander a little to me - knowing that I'm a conservative). He pulls most of his print media from Yahoo and local rags, and largely ignores the main publications like the WSJ and NYT.

2) Obamacare - He was most definitely against Obamacare and agreed that we were lied to (fine vs. tax thing), but said that the Massachusetts form of it was actually pretty good, and well run. He did not think that any form of it should be applied to the entire country via some federal bureaucracy though, and certainly did not agree with the "mandate." That said, he believed that a change needed to be made and seemed to lean more toward a state controlled form of healthcare administration (as touted by the GOP - go figure). Heck, he even said that he was voting for Scott Brown - who was elected specifically in backlash to Obamacare - yet still planned to vote Obama? Interesting to say the least.

3) Obama Economy - He was disappointed in Obama's performance in this regard, but did throw the "Bush did it" talking point out there that so many of the Dems like to use - saying that Obama just needed more time to turn things around; however, he also acknowledged that if Obama's past performance was any indication of the next term, a "turnaround" was going to be arduous at best. In fact, I pressed him a little on this front, and he really couldn't come up with much of anything in support of Obama policy in this regard - other than the GM bailout (which he acknowledged was a poor decision to begin with). He also acknowledged the "tax the rich/redistribution" plan of Obama was equally concerning, but did not believe that it would be as bad as the "right" made it sound....yet he still planned to vote Obama?

4) Benghazi - He appeared to be very uninformed on Benghazi or Chris Stevens, and could only talk topically about it. He was surprised to hear some of the things I mentioned - particularly about General Ham, and the CIA safe house meetings, and said that he would research this himself (maybe he'll awaken before tomorrow). Wow!

5) Foreign Policy - Again, he appeared to be very uninformed on this front as well, and didn't seem to care much one way or the other. Again, Wow!

There was more, but this was the gist of it. So, given that this was more of a business meeting, and given the need for us to remain somewhat neutral as a result - I only gently pressed him to hopefully do a little more research before he cast his vote - but I'm not holding my breath.

In short, this guy is what I would consider the average "somewhat informed" Democrat voter from the north (not a GLP'r by any means). He's a great guy, but his lack of grasp on most all issues we should all be considering heavily in this election was absolutely amazing to me. He truly adheres to party lines, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, and regardless of concerns he even voiced himself. That said, what I took away from this is that he simply wasn't informed - at all (and in his defense, too busy to be so). In fact, I believe that I truly could have swayed his opinion if we had the time.

So, while my hour with this person was a little disappointing, I think it is at least an indication that many Dems may well surprise this country come tomorrow. My guess is that there are a number of people that actually have researched beyond their traditional news sources, and have concluded that Obama simply isn't right for this country - and will actually vote their conscience instead. They're smarter than this administration and the MSM give them credit for, and have fully awoken to the lies they've been fed. Guess we'll see, but if a tried-in-the-wool Democrat is holding his nose (even while still voting Obama), I'm confident that others won't be so kind.

popcorn
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP