Users Online Now: 1,705 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 891,538
Pageviews Today: 1,468,882Threads Today: 574Posts Today: 9,456
03:18 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject For those that have no religion, what do you think happens when you die?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message As a Christian I always believed what I was told, that there is a Heaven and that when we die we will go there to live forever if we believe in Jesus. It was an afterlife to look forward to because we would see people we care about that died before us.

Now that I am questioning everything I grew up being taught, I don't know what to think. If there is no god that created all this, then what are we? The most logical answer seems to be that we are just some self aware living tissue with the equivalent of a fleshy computer running sophisticated software. Once the body dies, the software just goes away. There is no Heaven or Hell or Valhalla or reincarnation or rebirth or Summerland. There's just death and blackness and the cessation of being.

The latter view pretty much sucks. What is there to live for knowing there is simply nothing at the end of life? "Well," you say, "we can live to leave something behind for the greater purpose such as raising our children or making the world a better place for future generations." Yeah, all that's great, but it doesn't do fuck all for me. If I simply cease to be, what good is any of this life? It's just a brief spark of existence and then just gone. Being self aware to know how brief this life is with just nothing at the end is just a kick in the teeth.

Given my original beliefs, part of me wants to believe there's a chance it's still true and that my close friends and family are waiting for me just on the other side. But the more I live and the less I see of any kind of god, the bleaker that outlook becomes.

For those of you who do not believe in gods or afterlifes of any kinds, what do you believe is at the end of this life? If it's just nothing, how do you keep from being depressed as fuck about it?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP