Users Online Now: 1,461 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 497,257
Pageviews Today: 648,121Threads Today: 198Posts Today: 2,686
05:44 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Were our college degrees worth the time, money, and effort we put into them?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I've been thinking about my bachelor's degree alot lately. While I don't regret getting it, I question just how much it currently helps me to live a "better" life.

While it helps me to earn more money per year, it's not nearly enough to validate the thousands of dollars (and hours) I put into my degree. Luckily my parents paid for what my scholarship didn't cover. If they hadn't, I wouldn't be able to even begin paying the loans back! I would be on some 25 or 30 year plan, playing thousands a year like some of my friends.

Some people that I know who don't have college degrees were gracious enough to share their salaries with me. They make almost as much as I do, and WITHOUT having to pay back any loans!

They move up in companies almost as easily as I do through years of experience. They often start a career at a younger age than those in college. College graduates might apply for a job in their field at 22 , or 23. Those who didn't have a college degree may have started at the bottom, but have already moved into the desired positions of the college graduates by then.

With the financial aspects aside, let's talk about the "system". In the last few years, I had what we on GLP like to call an "awakening". I realized that schools were designed by the government for mind control training purposes.

At school, we are trained to sit where they tell us to sit, memorize what they tell us to memorize, and to consider their words "golden" on all historical events.

We are never to question why World War II started, or what kind of experiments the CIA was doing. We are certainly not allowed to leave the permises without permission. Yes, school is a prison for mind control victims.

Certain academic subjects such as science and math are considered better indicators of intelligence. If students don't do well in these core subjects, there is a very narrow-minded assumption that they're not smart. It is never considered that their intelligence may lie in another area, such as art, music, or a trade that's not easy for everyone. These creative talents and skills, however, are frowned upon.

In my opinion, everyone is designed for a specific purpose. You can tell that person's purpose by what comes naturally to them.

There are differnt types of trees. If I'm growing apples, I'm an apple tree. School might try to force me to grow peaches or pears, and say I'm dumb. Just because I grow apples, it doesn't make me any less of a tree. It means they're not allowing me to freely use my gifts and abilities to fullfill my purpose.

I'm sorry I got off, but this is why I question the necessity for people today to get college degrees. At one time, it may have meant something, but it doesn't seem to anymore.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP