Users Online Now: 2,101 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 826,498
Pageviews Today: 1,468,662Threads Today: 488Posts Today: 10,335
02:36 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject McAfee ties to QUORUM SENSING - the REAL REASON behind his demise?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message McAfee ties to Quorum Sensing - the real reason behind his demise?

I have been asked to start a new thread on this topic. While I can't copy/paste everything from this other website over - due rules here; I think it's a good idea to use this information to dig deeper here at GLP.

Some info to get you started before you read the complete links:

John McAfee, founder of McAfee Anti Virus and would-be hallucinogenic bath salts manufacturer, has fled Belize for sanctuary in Guatemala. The Belize authorities consider McAfee a person of interest in the killing of American expatriate Gregory Faull. McAfee claims it's all part of a government conspiracy, and that the powers that be in Belize want to kill him; in response, Belize prime minister Dean Barrow described McAfee as "bonkers".
[link to getthetruthout.icyboards.net]

Since our piece ran on last week, several readers have come forward with additional information that sheds light on the change in McAfee's behavior. In July of 2010, shortly before Allison Adonizio pulled the plug on their quorum-sensing project and fled the country, McAfee began posting on a drug-focused Russian-hosted message board called Bluelight about his attempts to purify the psychoactive compounds colloquially known as "bath salts."

ok - so he went off the rails shortly after this project got the plug pulled. I thought I better look up what that was. Guess what the first webpage that came up when I searched on Quorum Sensing Project? Craig Venter's JCVI! Hmmm....

What is Quorum Sensing?
Quorum sensing is a system of stimulus and response correlated to population density. Many species of bacteria use quorum sensing to coordinate gene expression according to the density of their local population. In similar fashion, some social insects use quorum sensing to determine where to nest. In addition to its function in biological systems, quorum sensing has several useful applications for computing and robotics.
Quorum sensing can function as a decision-making process in any decentralized system, as long as individual components have: (a) a means of assessing the number of other components they interact with and (b) a standard response once a threshold number of components is detected.
[link to en.wikipedia.org]

Some of the examples of bacteria used for quorum testing in the wiki are:

Vibrio fischeri
Escherichia coli
Salmonella enterica
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Acinetobacter sp.
Aeromonas sp.
Yersinia enterocolitica

McAfee's Quorum Sensing website - now taken down; but still accessible via wayback machine if you are quick:
[link to www.quorumex.com]

More on Craig Venter, Cyanobacteria, Synthetic Genomics, Synthia, etc:

McAfee was rubbing shoulders with some very interesting research. Did he piss someone off? Was he trying to stop an agenda? Why did he think the Belize govt was after him? Was he just nuts on Bath Salts? Seems an easy story to slap him with - considering the hype on Bath Salts in the media.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP