Users Online Now: 1,705 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 90,654
Pageviews Today: 124,484Threads Today: 38Posts Today: 540
01:04 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Growing tired of my self-absorbed friend on Facebook.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message It's just this endless stream of posts everyday all about his book, his writing, ingratiating adulation of other writers, self-promoting language disguised behind somewhat feigned, if not forced, humility.

I'm not the only one who's noticed it. It's just constant. Maybe 10 individual posts a day, maybe 15, almost all of it "me"-centered in some way or another, very self-important language, as if to say, "WHAT I HAVE TO SAY HERE IS REALLY IMPORTANT AND WORTH NOTICING."

He's a really good friend, someone I've known for 15 years, but lately ... he's changed.

He got his book published, he's gone far, far to the Left, calls his political beliefs a "war", seems to think he's "above" the sort of silliness my friendship with him and another friend has always entailed, distances himself, says we have nothing in common, wants to find that "connection" with other people, says MSNBC is so much more "intelligent" than Fox News, seems baffled by Ron Paul, etc. Basically, just mainline Liberal thinking on everything.

I can tell he's thinking, "God, those guys (myself and my other friend), they're just... immature, they're not in the same realm as my uber-intelligent writer friends." I don't think it's that explicit, but it's implicit in his communication.

This has been going on for a few years, when he got involved with a single mom lesbian girl (ok, she wasn't lesbian, but she looked like one) out in Maine. He said being with her "opened his eyes."

He came back from Maine talking about how "great" it was that everyone there in their 30s out there got wasted every weekend, if not every day. Yeah, that's something to admire.

Anyway, we all share different hobbies and interests, that's not what makes a friendship. To him, though, if you're not into his fiction writing and discussing establishment philosophical ideas derived from academia and quoting authors and deferring to "experts" with Ph.Ds, you're just not on the same level.

He's not that blatant about it, but it's there.

I don't think, "Wow, you're my great friend because you're into conspiracies like me," that's not what makes a friend.

So it's disappointing, and the Facebook stuff gets... tiresome. I suppose he has to promote himself and his book, but if I'm an industry person or a fan of his genre, all those posts would personally turn me off. Who knows, it may dazzle others.

Oh, and one last thing: he lives with his parents.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP