Users Online Now: 2,195 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,193,136
Pageviews Today: 1,992,357Threads Today: 822Posts Today: 14,248
07:11 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The gun situation in America - the best solution?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Hi all, Oztard here with some thoughts on the gun situation in America. I'll do my best to give my opinions on what I feel is the best solution to prevent or reduce the impact/severity of future mass killings by nut jobs with guns or other weapons, as well as my reasoning behind my opinions...

Firstly, it seems that most people respond from an emotional standpoint regarding gun ownership in the U.S.A., especially after such tragedies as the recent shooting of young children at a primary school in CT. I don't think that this is a good point to start from in any debate, regardless of the circumstances. I think most rational people would agree.

In a nutshell, although it seems counter intuitive, I think MORE guns are the answer, at least in the rather special case of the U.S.A. My reasoning behind this statement is below, and applicable especially to the U.S.A., but some points may also apply to other nations, but perhaps not.

1) There are more guns in the U.S.A. than people. Any type of gun control law, especially that requiring the disarming of people (either via forced confiscation, or some kind of benign 'amnesty'/hand-in) will fail in a spectacular way. Only the law abiding citizens would comply, leaving tens of millions (if not more) of guns on the black market/underground and in the hands of people that should NEVER own a gun. It's obvious that this situation would lead to a massive spike in crime, of all types, for obvious reasons.

2) Certain people should be required by law to own a firearm and be trained in its safe and proper use. Such people would include; teachers, professors (ALL staff at educational institutions would be best), public servants, all staff of any premises where a lot of people gather (such as shopping malls, sports stadiums, libraries, cinemas, etc). These people should have a concealed firearm on their person at all times whilst performing their duties.

3) As per point two (2), ALL citizens of the U.S.A. without a criminal history or known psychiatric problem(s), should be permitted to carry a concealed firearm just like the individuals mentioned in point two. This would also require proper training etc of course. Children should be taught about firearm safety to avoid accidents as much as possible. It would be hoped that children would never be able to even touch a gun in their home, let alone get a chance to shoot themselves or someone else accidentally. Of course, once children reach a certain age, they should be trained in the safe use and handling of a firearm too, in the event that the child needs to use it to defend his/her family and property from an intruder.

4) Guns and related industries in the U.S.A. provide a LOT of jobs, profit and tax revenue. Not only manufacturers of firearms make money, but gun sellers (gun shops, stalls at fairs etc) gunsmiths and ammunition manufacturers. Include in that those whom transport all these things (truck drivers, couriers) as well as those that that provide security for said items (security guards and police). Not to mention companies that manufacture safes, trigger locks, gun racks, storage cabinets and all manner of gun accessories.

5) Lastly, if people were permitted to carry a concealed firearm as per points one (1) and (2) two, there are so many tragedies that could have been outright prevented, or the death toll would have been dramatically reduced. Think of any mass murder of people by shooting or other means in just recent American history (e.g., crashing a fully loaded passenger jet into a building) and you can see the logic here. In the very recent case of the school in CT, the killer probably wouldn't have made it past the office/front entrance. The so-called 9/11 incidents would not have happened as they did if passengers and crew were carrying. The terrorists would have been shot dead before even making it to the cockpit. Hell, they may not have even tried to do what they did in the first place.

Anyone that comes from a country where there are few guns floating around to begin with, even before any bans or heavy restrictions, cannot apply their situation to the U.S.A. It is foolish to think so - there are more guns than people over there!

hiding
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP