Users Online Now: 2,262 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,191,269
Pageviews Today: 1,989,219Threads Today: 818Posts Today: 14,227
07:10 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject How could Washington avoid a debt ceiling default? Mint a few trillion dollar platinum coins. Seriously
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Well my friend sent me this and I thought he was crazy but then Im watching CNBC and they have a segment on it lol

While raising the US debt ceiling has not gotten as much attention — yet — as the risk of falling off the fiscal cliff, it soon will. The limit will likely be hit soon. And if Congress fails to raise the borrowing cap, the Treasury would likely run out of money-management options to avoid a default some time in the February.

Platinum Coin Option. There are limits on how much paper money the U.S. can circulate and rules that govern coinage on gold, silver, and copper. BUT, the Treasury has broad discretion on coins made from platinum. The theory goes that the U.S. Mint would create a handful of trillion dollar (or more) platinum coins. The President would then order the coins deposited at the Fed, who would then put the coin (s) in the Treasury who now can pay all their bills and a default is removed from the equation.

The effects on the currency market and inflation are unclear, to say the least. You would also likely trigger a wave of lawsuits and create two tranches of treasuries.

[link to www.aei-ideas.org]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP