Users Online Now: 1,898 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 372,380
Pageviews Today: 589,345Threads Today: 202Posts Today: 2,930
07:25 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Look at what grew on my lemon wedge in the fridge! (weird hair-like growth!!!)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I like to purchase lemons and slice them and store them in the refrigerator, and squeeze them into a glass of water.

The lemon wedges shown below are an organic Meyer Lemon.
The wedges were cut less than 14 days prior, and were stored in the refrigerator inside an airtight tupperware container, with a damp (dry- not dripping wet, I added a few drops of water and squeeze the water out) paper towel for relative humidity. (When I was a bartender in college, the fancy restaurant I worked in trained me to store cut fruit in this manner, so that is why I do it.)

I was amazed and shocked actually, when I pulled the lemons out yesterday, to add some fresh lemon juice to my water.

I saw hundreds of super thin, spindly "hairs" or "crystals" growing out of the lemon wedge on all sides! At the terminus of the "hair" was a tiny black ball. I did not touch or examine these hairs in any detail, other than to take a couple photos.

Have you ever heard of something like this?

Seen something like this?

If it was in the back of my fridge, neglected for 6-7 weeks, I would not be surprised as I am now. I would expect mold, but I guess this growth is just a peculiar type of mold or fungus???
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP