Users Online Now: 2,190 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,786,385
Pageviews Today: 2,627,121Threads Today: 717Posts Today: 14,883
09:21 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject 6÷2(1+2)=? SOLVED by the Professor of Mathematics at California State University [video]
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message

Hopefully this will end this debate.

The other OP removed this video from his thread as the answers differed.

This is from a math professor and a very well respected one at that.

***UPDATE***

I received this e-mail from Dr. Stein about 20 minutes ago

Russell,

I just researched this in several places, AND I'M WRONG!!! I'd appreciate it if you posted this answer. Here's a nice explanation.

[link to chilimath.com]

While the acronym PEMDAS is correct, the problem comes with the confusion about how M and D are treated.

I have always thought that it meant that M (multiplication) is to precede D (division). On reading several sources, M and D are treated at the same level of hierarchy, and are to be done left to right.

In other words, 6/2 x 3 really is 9, because M and D are at the same hierarchy level, and so M no longer PRECEDES D, but should be done left to right. The division is encountered first in reading 6/2 x 3, and so is done first.

Jim

***2nd e-mail update***

Hi Russell,

One of the things that I've always believed is that one should admit to one's mistakes. I just made one, and the important thing is to get it right.

Most mathematicians are aware of the possibility of error in such a situation (I'm willing to bet I'm not the only mathematician who would make this mistake). As a result, they will usually parenthesize to avoid potential misinterpretation. For instance, I would write the problem as either

6 / (2(1+2)) if I wanted the answer to be 1

or

(6/2) (1+2) if I wanted the answer to be 9
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP