Users Online Now: 2,369 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 730,645
Pageviews Today: 1,198,452Threads Today: 478Posts Today: 8,078
12:19 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject MAXIMUM ONE TERM LIMIT for all elected positions at all levels of government: Local, State, & Federal!!!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message edit: I mistakenly titled this thread "Abolish all term limits..." which is perhaps incorrectly worded, but certainly misleading as to my intention. I propose that there be a maximum of one term limit for all elected positions. What do you think?

This, I do believe would have manifold benefits at the individual level and at the societal level.

First of all, this is the main tenet behind this proposal:
Elected office, aka "Politician" is not a career and it should not be.

If term limits were abolished, many of the power-hungry, selfish, self-styled "elite" would no longer even run for elected office. Abolishing term limits would also encourage more truly civic-minded individuals to run for office, for the original purpose, "to serve."

The glory and the power, and the temptation to allow corruption would be drastically lessened, which would result in less nepotism, less wasteful spending, less no-bid and backroom dealings using taxpayer monies.

The population at-large would be forced to pay more attention to politics, and fulfill civic obligations, duties, and responsibilities.

Different types of people would run for elected office at all levels: local, state, and federal, and this in turn would perhaps open up new avenues of thinking and re-instill the most traditional of American values: ingenuity.

You might say, but yes, someone who is terribly un-qualified for the role might be elected!
To which my reply is two-fold:
1. Do you not think this has ever happened before?
2. If someone is massively unqualified for an elected position, then as soon as their term is over, they will be replaced, guaranteed, with the abolition of term limits.

You might then also say, but the people who are most qualified would not have a chance to remain in office, thereby doing much good for the nation!
To which I would reply:
There are certainly others just as good, if not better than this "King Arthur" who would suffer from abolition of term limits. Again, politician/elected official should not be a career.

I am interested in what you have to say. What do you think about this proposal?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP