Users Online Now: 1,093 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 217,047
Pageviews Today: 361,020Threads Today: 108Posts Today: 1,791
03:53 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject If you think that erasing your internet files with a program protects you...think again.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message As we all know internet privacy is a very important topic.

Everything you do online is stored in various directories on your hard drive, but using eraser programs like Ccleaner and Window Washer doesn't erase them completely.

There are hidden folders on your computer that store every URL you have visited, every picture you have viewed and every download you have saved, to your computer's hard drive and cannot be accessed to delete without a specific program.

This folder is called index.dat.

If you don't believe me, type these various file paths into your search bar in the start menu and find out for yourself.

If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista then index.dat files are in these locations (note that on your PC they can be on other drive instead of drive C):

C:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat
C:\Users\<us​ername>\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Local​\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Local\Micros​oft\Windows\History\History.IE5\Low\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Local\Microsoft​\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat
C:\Users\<user​name>\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\Low\index.dat\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXX​\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary​ Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData\index.dat
C:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData\Low\index.dat
------------------------------------------

If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000 then index.dat files are in these locations (note that on your PC they can be on other drive instead of drive C):

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\UserData\index.dat
----------------------------------

If you have Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows NT or Windows 95 then index.dat files are in these locations:
C:\Windows\Cookies\index.dat
C:\Windows\History\index.dat
C:\Windows\H​istory\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat (XXXX are some digits)
C:\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\Windows\History\History.IE5\M​SHistXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\index.dat (only in Internet Explorer 4.x)
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Windows\UserData\index.dat
C:\Windows\Profiles\<us​ername>\Cookies\index.dat
C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\History\index.dat
C:\Win​dows\Profiles\<username>\History\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat
C:\Windows\Pr​ofiles\<username>\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\Hi​story\History.IE5\MSHistXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\index.dat
C:\Windows\Profiles\<usernam​e>\Temporary Internet Files\index.dat (only in IE 4.x)
C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\Windows\Profiles\<username>\UserData\index.dat

Do​esn't work does it? You can even set your settings to show hidden folders and they still will not allow access.

I have Windows 7 and I know for a fact that all index.dat files are locked from viewing and deleting.

I cannot speak as to what other operating systems do but go ahead and try it anyway. Even if they allow access they will not allow you to just drag them to your recycle bin because they are always being used by your computer.

Today I will show you to not only access and view evrything permanently stored on your computer, but also how to delete all traces of internet activity FOREVER.

Please be patient, I will be adding links to index.dat viewers as well as erasers.

The rest is up to you.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP