Users Online Now: 2,115 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,136,089
Pageviews Today: 1,539,610Threads Today: 396Posts Today: 6,340
12:26 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Guys, I have figured out how they turn on your webcams and mics to spy on you...AND how to block it permanently.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message So I've been making a few computer tutorials over that past several days in hopes that I can help you all with known or unknown privacy issues on your PC. You can find them here.

Thread: This week, I'm going to show you how to find out if you are being actively tracked online and how to block it permanently.

And here.

Thread: If you think that erasing your internet files with a program protects you...think again.

If you haven't read over the information in those threads I strongly suggest you do so.

This thread is about how websites turn on your webcam and microphone remotely and how to block it.

Numerous threads have popped up over the last couple of years about remote websites gaining access to your webcam and microphone and can remotely turn it on to watch or listen to you in live time.

Fuck that.

After doing some research, I have found out how they do it.

My apologies if this or a solution has been posted already, but I thought I would start this thread to show people how nefarious the internet is and how to block them from being able to turn on your cam and actively watch you or your family as they surf the net.

First, the way they do this, at least one way, is through your flash player. Have you ever been watching YouTube and that little box pops up on your screen about Flash Player settings?

That's the one!

On newer Firefox versions it is completely locked out and you can't click on anything. I haven't quite figured out why they do that yet, but go to YT and give it a shot by right clicking on the screen and selecting settings.

Completely locked out. Very strange. I can't adjust anything.

Well, not anymore!

There is a website that will allow you to change your GLOBAL settings for Flash player. Global as in it will remember your settings at every site using Flash and you will no longer have to worry about changing your settings every time you visit a new site that uses Flash.

This website is located here...

[link to www.macromedia.com]

There is a settings box on the right hand side of that page that has various tabs for choosing your settings.

The most important one (the one that turns your mic and cam on remotely), and the one you need to do immediately, is to click the first tab in that settings box and click always deny and then click confirm.

You may want to bookmark this site for later use in case there are programs out there that reset your settings.

Remember, choosing these settings will lock them in across the board no matter what site you're on.

The second tab is only for storage settings, leave that one alone.

The third tab I have on always ask but you can make it so that info is also always denied.

The fourth and fifth tab don't really mean much, updating, content playback, etc. Leave them alone.

The sixth tab, the screen with the little eyeball on it. grrr is another tab you want to take a look at and choose always deny. This stops other sites from turning your webcam on and off.

The seventh tab should be left alone unless you know what you're doing, but it's not important for this tutorial.

The last tab on the box has to do with peer assisted networking where sites will use some of your upload bandwidth to contribute to the community. I always have this setting on disable P2P uplink for all. If you don't want to share your bandwidth, make sure that box is checked.

There you have it.

Now you are protected from having your webcam and/or microphone from being remotely activated.

Kinda creepy eh?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP