Users Online Now: 2,288 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,279,175
Pageviews Today: 2,135,539Threads Today: 860Posts Today: 15,231
08:18 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject 2 firefighters killed, 2 hurt in Texas lodge fire (and I have NEVER heard about those "Knights of Columbus" before...)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message read this:

2 firefighters killed, 2 hurt in Texas lodge fire

Published February 16, 2013

Associated Press

BRYAN, Texas – Two Texas fire lieutenants have died of burns after battling a lodge hall fire.

A spokeswoman for the Central Texas city of Bryan confirmed the deaths of Gregory Pickard and Eric Wallace. Mary Stratta says Pickard died Saturday in a Galveston hospital and Wallace at the scene.

The firefighters entered the burning Knights of Columbus hall in Bryan about midnight Friday. Stratta says they didn't emerge when ordered to evacuate.

She says two other firefighters were taken to the hospital in Galveston to be treated for burns. Ricky Mantey Jr. and Mitchel Moran are both in serious but stable condition.

Bryan is 90 miles northwest of Houston.

[link to www.foxnews.com]

--------------------------------------------------

Now, my comments:

The word "lodge" in the title caught my eye...

And then I started to read the news and discovered about those "Knights of Columbus" that I have NEVER heard about before....

I searched Wikipedia, and here it is:

The Knights of Columbus is the world's largest Catholic fraternal service organization. It was founded by the Venerable Father Michael J. McGivney in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1882, and named in honor of the navigator Christopher Columbus. Originally serving as a mutual benefit society to low-income immigrant Catholics, it developed into a fraternal service organization dedicated to providing charitable services, promoting Catholic education and actively defending Catholicism in various nations.[1][2]

There are more than 1.8 million members in 15,000 councils, with nearly 200 councils on college campuses. Membership is limited to "practical Catholic" men aged 18 or older.[3] Membership consists of 4 different degrees, each exemplifying a different principle of the Order. The Order is a member of the International Alliance of Catholic Knights. Most meetings follow a strict protocol based on guidelines from the National Home Office.

[link to en.wikipedia.org (secure)]

So, one more Catholic order? The Knights of Malta aren't enough?

I have never heard about those "Knights of Columbus" in my whole life...

Another day, another "secret society" that we hear about...
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP