Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject EGGS-Raw VERSUS Cooked: FINALLY THE FACTS
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message As a PT and a bit of of health fanatic I've searched long and hard about eating eggs, raw versus cooked.
Yep I've been guilty of downing a few raw eggs in a post workout shake as I followed the elites in their routines.

I did a quick search here and the basics were mentioned briefly but even with that knowledge I had, I still walked away a little confused.

Protein Absorption & Eggs:

Some older athletic diets used to propose eating just raw eggs. I now know this is a foolish attempt at taking in additional protein.
Eating raw eggs (or raw egg whites) will only result in about 50% absorption of the available protein.
That means if you eat enough raw eggs to give you 40 grams of protein, your body will only absorb apprx 20 grams.

Eating just raw egg whites results in the same (or worse).

Egg whites have a huge amount of a substanc called 'avidin' which loves biotin.
As a matter of fact, once the avidin-biotin forms a bond, the body can't break it apart. So you could develop a partial or full Biotin Deficiency Syndrome.
Cooking your eggs (or egg whites) will quickly denature the protein avidin and will allow you to absorb 98% of the protein.

In short, always cook your eggs.

Biotin Deficiency

The formation of a biotin deficiency from raw eggs has been recognized in science as far back as 1926.
Rats were given raw egg whites and developed the syndrome of hair loss, loss of muscle coordination, severe dermatitis, exhaustion, muscle pain and dry hair or eyes.

The raw eggs contain the glycoprotein avidin, which breaks down very quickly when cooked. This avidin chemical has huge interest in the amino acid biotin and bonds to it immediately.
Many foods contain biotin and there are normal bacteria in the intestines that produce biotin.

The long term use of anti biotics make the athlete further susceptible to biotin deficiencies, due to the destruction of the bacteria in the intestinal tract.

What Does Biotin Do?

Biotin ( a water soluble B-class vitamin) helps utilize other B's, aids the Krebs Cycle (energy) in the synthesis of fats and proteins and also helps in cell reproduction (growth)

I'm aware that Mercola and the like recommend raw egg intake but hopefully this has shed a bit of light into why this may not be the best solution.
Please use this information to continue further research for your self.
hf
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP