Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject How many here actually know how to raise crops
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I was raised by my grandparents who were depression era share croppers and cotton pickers. When I was a kid their "garden" was 4 acres in size and fed the entire neighborhood. Raising crops is in my blood. There's a lot I don't know, but I've raised several gardens of my own.

In college I learned a lot about permaculture. I haven't fully embraced the idea yet as I'm not convinced that large harvests can be maintained with no pesticides. I'll give it a try some day though, since huge labor savings can be realized (for non-machine harvested crops) once the raised beds are established.

Realistically you'll need almost an acre to completely feed a family of four and you'll need to do successive plantings. You'll need to be able to put away this food also. Beans and field peas are great as they can be dried and stored easily. Freezing stuff is easy....so long as electricity is available.

I anticipate doom as an economic event where everything is still available, but priced sky high. Thus I could still buy the few dozen gallons of gas needed to farm. I'd still have electricity. Otherwise, everything would have to be canned or dried and plowing would turn into a nightmare (permaculture time).

Thoughts? Comments?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP