Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject QLD police to use surveillance drones at G20 conference
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message QUOTE:

The Courier-Mail can reveal Police Minister Jack Dempsey wants the aircraft, possibly second-hand ex-military drones used in Afghanistan, in time for the trans-national G20 conference in November next year.

But the plans have angered privacy advocates, with the head of the Australian Council for Civil Liberties saying they amount to "Big Brother in the sky".

Mr Dempsey said drones would be a "cost-effective" measure in police aerial intelligence, with an hourly operating fuel price-tag of $30 compared to $500 per hour for a helicopter.

"Originally even basic drones cost upwards of a million dollars but today they can be purchased for as little as $50,000 and the price continues to fall," Mr Dempsey said.

"Furthermore, with many countries continuing their withdrawal from various theatres of war we may see their high-end surplus military drones come on to the market at very low prices.

"I believe if the business case for drones stacks up they'd be invaluable for a range of policing tasks, including traffic management, covert drug crop identification and even surveillance for events such as the 2014 G20 meeting and reconnaissance during outlaw biker runs.

"Additionally there are many emergency applications such as being used for spotting bushfires for the Rural Fire Service and providing real-time aerial intelligence from flood or cyclone affected areas."

Queensland police to use surveillance drones to combat crime ahead of G20 conference>> [link to www.couriermail.com.au]

-----

<<Note there is only one comment on the article, it is pro-drone, and I know for a fact that other's have submitted anti-drone comments for publication - I myself submitted a comment 48 hours ago.>>

Nice how "George" only considers his own craggy old body - but who cares about anyone else, right? Like a person sunbaking, or children playing under a sprinkler in their backyard, or the family undies hanging on the line (dont you think its creepy weird that someone takes regular photos of your washing?) These are examples of ppl not breaking any laws but we shouldnt worry about their privacy because George of Logan's body is past perving on?!

I know its a bit of a loopy example, but think about those undie photos. How many crops and crimes do they REALLY identify via such aerial photos in RATIO with yards which are legally compliant? 0.001% perhaps?! That means 99.99% of the aerial photos are of your underwear .... only creepy weirdos would want to gather and archive such data, dont you think? Therefore, the creepy weirdos are in charge, and are using the phony drug war as an excuse to perve on everyone.

Yeh yeh ... the use of drones will never be abused by law enforcement orificers. uh-huh.

-----

QUOTE:

Today, the main applications for UAVs include observation, maintenance, surveillance, monitoring, remote sensing and security (Eisenbeiss, 2004). Examples of civil UAV applications include:

Policing duties
Traffic spotting
Power line surveys
Fisheries protection
Pipeline surveys
Sports events and film coverage
Border patrol
Agricultural operations
Forestry surveys
Mining surveys
Weather surveys
Disaster assessment and monitoring
Research

Source>> [link to www.gmat.unsw.edu.au]

-----

Anyway, Jack Dempsey is the Local MP for Bundaberg QLD, which experienced it's biggest flood on record last January, so natural disasters are a convenient new sell for the Police Minister.

Now I have no problem with using drones for such a purpose, in fact I think that's an excellent idea. What I do have a problem with is - give THEM an inch and THEY take a mile. It's such a shame because it looks like drones are a brillant technology for many positive applications, but then THEY always have to wreck everything by surveilling and monitoring everyone. Not only has Jack made the blatant suggestion of monitoring demonstrations, I also note the additional spin of bikies, and monitoring traffic - I dont have a contract with the RTA (driving license), so it doesnt affect me - but it's just another step further in the door.

damned

I've been doing some research into the pattern of normalisation propaganda surrounding of introduction of law enforcement drones to civilian Australia, and here are a few interesting articles I've found so far. I cant seem to find anything much older than 12 months though.

UAVs are used to look for sharks on the beach, and as "Lifeguards". I chose this article for it's title of "monitoring" BOTH swimmers and the sharks.

shark

Drone trial to monitor swimmers, sharks>> [link to au.news.yahoo.com]

This report, tells us not to be alarmed at the buzzing above our heads.

Drones used for shark spotting>> [link to au.news.yahoo.com]

UAV Lifeguards to patrol Australian beaches, Hasselhoff given notice>> [link to www.engadget.com]

Or how about a bit of whale research?>> [link to au.news.yahoo.com]

But on the other hand, we dont want to use them to track whaling vessels??

QUOTE:

THE conservation group Sea Shepherd has received what it describes as a reprimand from the Australian government for its use of aerial drones to track the Japanese whaling fleet.

The Australian Antarctic Division told it the drones must undergo an urgent environmental impact assessment (EIA) if they are to be used in waters covered by the Antarctic Treaty.

Sea Shepherd drones provoke official rebuke>> [link to www.smh.com.au]

Anti-whaling drones rock the boat>> [link to www.mnn.com]

-----

Not only can drones help us conduct rescue operations during natural disasters, they might even be able to predict them as well! O rly?? Can it also predict my viewing habits and change the channel on my TV? They so super.

Drones could provide superior bushfire predictions in Australia>> [link to www.wired.co.uk]

-----

Many Aussies are fiercely scared of boat people so there's a seller ...

QUOTE:

The Australian Defence Force is quietly resurrecting plans to buy seven huge intelligence and surveillance drones that could cost up to $3 billion.

The unmanned aerial vehicles will be used for maritime surveillance and intercepting asylum seeker boats.

The decision comes despite claims that the Royal Australian Air Force's top commanders have long opposed the acquisition of unmanned aerial vehicles because they will put pilots out of a job and threaten RAAF culture.

jerkit

Australia moves to buy $3b spy drone fleet>> [link to www.abc.net.au]

Moving on ...

QUOTE:

QUEENSLAND police officers are testing a hi-tech surveillance drone that can be used to chase criminals, detect drug crops and find missing people all at a fraction of the cost of a helicopter.

Queensland Police to trial hi-tech surveillance drones to chase criminals>> [link to www.couriermail.com.au]

Missing people, eh? Nice sell.

QUOTE:

VICTORIA Police is considering introducing unmanned drone aircraft to assist in operations, following the lead of US authorities who from tomorrow will begin using them for surveillance, searches and car chases.

Police may deploy spy drones>> [link to www.theage.com.au]

People are so naïve. They cant be serious???

Street poll: Drones OK for crime control: newsbytes>> [link to newsbytes.com.au]

Sheesh. wall

This article doesnt mention drones, but it rings true none-the-less ... would be refreshing to see more journalism of this nature.

QUOTE:

"There is an enormous issue with the kind of weaponry that police are equipped with and the fact that, as some very recent cases have demonstrated, the level of knowledge as to the effect of what those weapons may have on a particular individual appears to be lacking," he said.

"There are numerous incidences though where people have come into contact with police and come away from the situation feeling in fact less safe than perhaps they would have if the police had not been there. And that is a real issue in my view," Mr Broadbent said.

"Should the police be viewed as a force or should they be a service? There is a question of perception," he added.

When citizens become afraid of their police>> [link to www.abc.net.au]

Some other interesting articles:

Drones, Lives, and Liberties>> [link to www.theaustralian.com.au]

Drones an option for Australia's defence>> [link to www.dailytelegraph.com.au]

List of UAV/UAS Operator Certificate Holders in Australia>> [link to aerometrex.com.au]

Don't forget!

Australia may host US drones at Cocos>> [link to www.smh.com.au]

But we already hosted these ones in South Australia anyway.

Revealed: US flew spy drone missions from Australia>> [link to www.abc.net.au]

I don't remember them asking the public about whether we wanted any of these plans implemented ... do you?

We must not be fooled into granting law enforcement pre-emptive powers in the belief it will prevent crime. They will never prevent crime. Their duty is to deal with crimes that have occured. Pre-emptive powers only grants them the ability to encroach on the rights of innocent citizens.

protest
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP