Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Field of Dreams
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I just rewatched "Field of Dreams" and am certain there is a submerged esoteric meaning to the film. I don't have a complete thesis in my head yet, but here are a few obversations(But first, I should say that with these I am focusing on what I feel the movie was trying to portray, and not necessairly whether I agree with or believe the movies message to be true. We know that they will present black as white and down as up every chance they get:

I think the field represented the reality we are taking part in. James Earl Jones gives a speech about how "people will come", and at the last scene we see cars lined up for miles to get to the field. I think the cars, which were really just seen as headlights(lights), are our spirits coming down to earth/this universe.

There is a theme of buliding the field allowing great ballplayers from the past to return to "life" and take part in "the game". The movie repeatedly refers to "the game" as being all important and the constant throughout time. Also, these were players who were accused of cheating(throwing games for gambling purposes), led by Shoeless Joe Jackson(missing a shoe=missing an eye???), and kicked out of the league/not allowed to play the game, i.e they were punished.

Are these great players of the game supposed to represent some commonly encountered figures within mythology such as Lucifer, etc, who were punished in the past? As in, this reality was created so that fallen and disgraced gods would have a realm to be worshiped in as the great "players of the game" they once were?

There is also another recuring theme of characters asking if the field is heaven. Keven Costner always tells them it is not, but at the end of the film when his returned father tells him heaven is where dreams come true, he looks around and nods, indicating that he has accepted that the field is heaven if he sees it as such. TPTB are trying to recreate heaven here on earth, so again this fits some of the things we know about them and their plans. Assuming Kevin Costner represents TPTB would make sense in this context, he follows a voice that only he can hear and endures the ridicule of his peers to acclomplish his great work of seeing the field built.

So the thing is I actually really enjoy this film(baseball has always been a connection between me and my dad), so I'm not particularly wanting to look for reasons to get it to fit into "the narrative of the conspiracy" but some of this stuff is too hard to ignore.

What do you think, GLP?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP