Users Online Now: 1,528 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 581,701
Pageviews Today: 745,663Threads Today: 205Posts Today: 2,524
06:34 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Spanish-language version of 'Star-Spangled Banner' draws cries of protest
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to abclocal.go.com]

Spanish-language version of 'Star-Spangled Banner' draws cries of protest

By Theresa Gutierrez

April 27, 2006 - A new version of the "Star-Spangled Banner" is hitting a sour note with some Americans. A group of Latin musicians and singers have recorded a new version of America's anthem in Spanish. Organizers say it's a way for those taking part in Monday's immigration reform march to express their love for America. Others say America's anthem should only be sung in English.

"Nuestro Himno (Our Anthem)" is a song from the forthcoming Latin-Urban entertainment album Somos Americanos, "We are Americans." The album contains many recordings about the Latino experience in the US and will benefit the efforts of pro-immigration organizations. The big question is, Can the national anthem be performed and be accepted in two languages?
"It should be in English. I truly believe that you go to any country, you respect people's national anthem. If you were in Ireland and somebody starts singing in a different language, the people would be offended," said Clodhagh Murphy.

"Just because it's sung in Spanish, I don't see why they are against it," said Mary Lopez.

More than 48 recording artists are participating in the first ever Spanish language recording of the "Star-Spangled Banner." It will be released Friday on some Spanish radio stations.

"As a general concept it's wrong," said Zigmunt Dyrkacz, businessman.

Many feel the "Star-Spangled Banner" is a national treasure and they prefer it remains in English.

"It should be sung in English. It's an American song. I think it represents America," said Debbie Rand.

Others say the Spanish version simply is a patriotic way of paying tribute to the US.

"If they are an American citizen, they should be able to sing the song in whatever language they choose," said Joshua Kinsel.

"I think it's a good -- whatever language you want to put it in is just fine. I don't think there is necessarily a political statement about it," said Tony Reynes.

Community activist Jorge Mujica believes "Nuestro Himno" sidetracks the issues involved in the immigration rights movement.

"I think this is a production of a record company, is not part of the movement. Somebody should translate exactly the national anthem of the United States, into Spanish, and into Korean, for that matter, many other languages, so people know exactly the meaning, the history and the words in the national anthem," said Mujica.

Mujica added that in Canada the national anthem is sung in English and French before hockey games and it is moving in both languages. He says you can sing and speak a foreign language and still be patriotic and respectful of the United States, it's not the words but the meaning behind the song that is important.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP