Users Online Now: 2,163 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,045,286
Pageviews Today: 1,449,438Threads Today: 394Posts Today: 6,953
12:00 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Moving/falling object in sky...moved slower than star but a LOT faster than satellite
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I was out in the field this evening at around 2230 with a very clear night sky...I briefly looked down briefly at my cat when a moving light caught my peripheral. As soon as I looked back up I saw what appeared to be a meteorite due to its unusual brilliance, but it was not falling like a typical meteorite.

The speed is what caught me off guard. All the meteorites I have witnessed have, well, for lack of a better term, all fallen at the general speed of a meteorite. I have never seen one behave much different than others and have witnessed them all over the US and overseas, so they all look relatively the same to me.

But this one did not behave like a meteorite. It did not have the trail of light behind it...it did not flicker as it burned in the atmosphere and did not burn out as it neared the earth.

This particular light bore a resemblance to a passing satellite, but much brighter, and while it did not scream across the sky like a meteorite, it did pass at a speed that was at least 5 times faster than any satellite I watched, and it followed the curvature of the earth until it faded out of sight.

From the point I saw it above me to its disappearance in the Northern sky was about 8-10 seconds...very fast, smooth and constant.

It was heading South to North. There was no sound and it appeared to be at a similar altitude as a passing satellite which I also saw just minutes later, which was timely. I used the satellite as a crude visual reference to ensure my description of this "thing" would be as accurate as possible.

Sorry...no pictures. There were no colors other than the white/soft orange glow that I often see with satellites.

I look forward to any responses, especially if others may have seen it as well and/or if there are any reports out there on this already.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP