Users Online Now: 2,134 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,477,320
Pageviews Today: 2,459,754Threads Today: 984Posts Today: 17,548
10:58 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Photo of unidentified objects in sky exactly where ISON remnants would be, taken Dec 24th. (SOLVED: Frontal Airplane Lights) [DEAD TOPIC]
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Latest Update: SOLVED: I'm sure someone already suggested it and if so, I'll give them credit. Can confirm without any doubt these were incoming jets from Charlotte airport at a direct vector towards the photographer. Two telltale signs were the light color and the fact they were seen steady then slowly going out. Sorry to disappoint but I am now sure these had NOTHING to do with ISON.
------------

As per the original photo and info provided in post...

Thread: Strange Objects In The North Western Sky...?

I was attempting to "explain away" the lights, I found not only were they extremely unlikely to be stars/planets (according to info provided), but they were in the PRECISE location ISON would have been following it's original trajectory (before the whole "it's dead" routine), if seen by the naked eye. Also, other sightings were confirmed and it was stated this was a "new" appearance. Complete breakdown below.

------------

So, the OP in that thread posted the following pic of 2 "strange objects" in the sky.
[link to img19.imageshack.us]
Nothing too spectacular at first. OP never even mentioned ISON. Just a couple of lights over a hill beyond a pasture.

Backtracking to 5:30 pm EST, facing NW, from a random city in NC we get this...
[link to i.imgur.com]
Nothing else in the sky at that time that explains seeing ONLY 2 bright lights and nothing else. My first thought was Venus & ??? but that would be SW. Other stars in that direction are too dim to be seen without being able to see others as well.
*Using EXIF info from the original photo, I have a new, EXACT view from the time/location.
[link to i.imgur.com]

Could these be say, Chinese lanterns/balloons/whatever floating in the sky? Well sure, but that would mean 2 amazing coincidences. #1 They supposedly did not move indicating a far distance and not close to ground. #2 The mystery objects were conveniently, out of the ENTIRE sky, in the precise spot of where ISON would be. (Precise by visual standards, not telescopic.)

Exif data checks out for location and time taken, as do the OP's handle and others in the thread that confirmed also seeing the lights as. There is even a pasture and hill side to the NW of the Exif coordinates as shown. No stars or planets can be seen in the photo. ISON is the only thing in that direction that makes sense. Very near the original path if not exact.

Can anyone confirm/debunk this???
*Could they be -balloons -swamp gas -other oddity? Yes. I am not claiming 100% until someone else confirms. (See #2 below) But the amazing fact is OP from orig thread and other non ACs saw these precisely in the correct direction when no other stars were visible.

Only 3 possible answers can exist here, #1 OP went to a lot of trouble to make it appear he found ISON without saying anything about it. Or #2, In an amazing coincidence, mysterious lights (non-moving) are seen EXACTLY in the sky where ISON should be by original path give or take a small amount, out of the ENTIRE sky. #3 This is a photograph of ISON or something related to it.

------------

Update: Further reports coming in that the objects fade as the Sun sets and are not night visible. Still looking for more repeat sightings and confirmation of location.

------------

Latest Update: SOLVED: I'm sure someone already suggested it and if so, I'll give them credit. Can confirm without any doubt these were incoming jets from Charlotte airport at a direct vector towards the photographer. Two telltale signs were the light color and the fact they were seen steady then slowly going out. Sorry to disappoint but I am now sure these had NOTHING to do with ISON.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP