Users Online Now: 2,104 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,108,674
Pageviews Today: 1,851,134Threads Today: 759Posts Today: 13,310
06:06 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Best home defense longgun ? AK vs AR rifle vs 12 ga tactical shotgun vs other? ...
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message My primary home defense go-to gun that stays close by is a Glock G22 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 155 grainers. Thats 16 rounds of 530 ft-lb ammo that displays proper terminal ballistics, in a gun that is ultra-reliable and that I can shoot very accurately and rapidly with a 3.5 lb connector to lighten the trigger break a little.

However, for those times when you feel the need or have the time to grab a more effective weapon, a longgun, whats the best choice?

I have decided for me that it comes down to three choices:

1) An AK-47 type rifle. These are very popular rifles that are near-100% reliable, effective and most often use 30 round magazines, but higher capacity mags can be used. High capacity is a big advantage here. Perfect reliability, even with cheap ammo, is a big plus here also. The AK is about the most reliable semi-automatic weapon in the world. Ive shot 1,000's of rounds through dozens of AK's over the past 15 years, and never had or seen a malfunction of any type.

2) An AR-15 rifle. Preferrably the M4 pattern rifle with collpsable buttstock and shorter 16" barrel. As above uses 30 round mags most often, but can use higher. Again, capacity is an advantage here. possibly slightly less reliable than an AK(but still extremely reliable) and slightly lighter also. Ammo has less penetrative ability but is about equally effective against humans.

3) A 'tactical' style pump 12 gauge shotgun such as a Mossberg 500A or 590 or Remington 870 tactical, loaded with #1 to 00 buckshot. These shotguns have shorter 20" barrels and longer, higher capacity 7-9 round tube magazines, than the standard hunting pump 12 gauge. Very effective round- the 12 gauge is perhaps the most effective round against human adversaries that civilians can buy. Very accuarte and easy to shoot. Anyone with a little practice, and most of those even without it, can hit center of mass quickly with a good 12 gauge. They point and shoot extremely well.

My choice right now is a SAR-1 model AK-47, with 40 round mag loaded with Wolf FMJ ammo, and a 6V Combat light w/ pressure switch. But I also own an AR-15, and a Mossberg 500A shotgun.

Whats the best choice in your opinion for the best home defense longgun? One of these, or something else, and why?

ps. I see Omega has an avatar now with someone holding a tactical 12 gauge. Good choice, and seeing that pic is what made me decide to do this thread.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP