Users Online Now: 2,351 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,437,164
Pageviews Today: 2,075,181Threads Today: 576Posts Today: 11,224
04:51 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Do you think certain music lyrics desensitizes kids? Yet, do you struggle with the idea of censorship as well?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I was reading a local columnist this morning and was thinking about this very thing. For example, during all the furor over Imus' comments, I had a discussion with my teens and some of their friends that were hanging out over here. They all laughed off the word 'ho' and its usage as a 'negative connotation'. 'Ho' has been used so much now that it just doesn't mean the same thing to these kids as it did to us (of course, for us, we didn't use the word 'ho' at all, but 'Whore' which apparently does still have a negative connotation).

Anyway, the article I was reading this morning was about an upcoming event in my area and Three 6 mafia being invited to perform. The author admits that her article most likely won't have any affects on the actual attendance numbers, although she wishes it would. I think she wishes the organizers would just not invite groups like this, period. I agree, until I start wondering if that is a form a censorship. I don't think it is, I think it's a consequence of capitalism. However, I wonder.

See, as much as I might personally detest some of the (in my opinion) "non-musically talented music and offensive lyrics", I think I detest any type of censorship even more.

But what exactly is censorship? It appears that the definition of the word is often as controversial as the topic to which the word is being applied! :)

Thoughts?

(here's the article I was reading):

[link to www.commercialappeal.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP