Users Online Now: 2,167 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,210,499
Pageviews Today: 2,021,456Threads Today: 833Posts Today: 14,451
07:25 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject A teenager has lost her High Court challenge to be allowed to wear a Christian "purity ring" to school.
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Yet another example of the Good is Evil and Evil is good metahphor!!!

Teen Loses Chastity Ring Case
Updated: 14:31, Monday July 16, 2007

A teenager has lost her High Court challenge to be allowed to wear a Christian "purity ring" to school.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, claimed the ban imposed by the Millais School in Horsham, West Sussex, was an "unlawful interference" with her right to express her faith.

But lawyers for the school successfully argued that the purity ring was not an essential part of the Christian religion and contravened the school's uniform policy.

Lydia said she was "very disappointed" by the High court's decision.

"Slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organisations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practising their faith," she said.

Lydia was one of a group of Christians at the Millais School who wore the ring as a sign of their belief in abstinence from sex until marriage.

Her lawyer had argued that the school, which allows Muslim and Sikh students to wear headscarves and religious bracelets, was violating Lydia's right to "freedom of thought, conscience and religion" under Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Human rights barrister Paul Diamond accused the school authorities of relying on "folklore" information about religious requirements and had acted with no real knowledge.

Lydia said she would consult her legal team about a possible appeal.

"The school governors originally said it was for health and safety reasons that purity rings were banned from school, but have offered no evidence to support the view that wearing a ring could physically harm another pupil or staff member," she said.

She added: "As a Christian I do not agree with sex before marriage.

"I believe I have a right not only to state my Christian views on sex, but also to demonstrate my Christian faith and commitment to God and my future husband not to have sex before marriage, through the wearing of a purity ring."

[link to news.sky.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP