Users Online Now: 1,163 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 175,198
Pageviews Today: 290,751Threads Today: 117Posts Today: 2,341
05:39 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject HARD-WIRED KEYSTROKE LOGGERS IN ALL NEW LAPTOP COMPUTERS!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message From a Govt.Watch post

Date: September 27, 2007 4:11:54 AM PDT

Subject: If You Enjoy Having a GPS in Your Cell Phone, You'll Love THIS ...

THE GOVERNMENT AND COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS HAVE INSTALLED
HARD-WIRED KEYSTROKE LOGGERS
IN ALL NEW LAPTOP COMPUTERS!

Devices capturing everything you ever type can send it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search
warrant, each time you log onto the internet!

Freedom of Information Act Requests for Explanation refused.

I was opening up my almost brand new laptop, to replace a broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard connection underneath a piece of metal
protecting the motherboard.

I figured "No Big Deal", and continued with the dissasembly. But when I got the metal panels off, I saw a small white heatshink-wrapped package. Being ever-curious, I sliced the heatshrink open. I found a little circuit board inside.

Being an EE by trade, this piqued my curiosity considerably. On one side of the board, one Atmel AT45D041A four megabit Flash memory chip.

On the other side, one Microchip Technology PIC16F876 Programmable Interrupt Controller, along with a little Fairchild Semiconductor CD4066BCM quad bilateral
switch.

Looking further, I saw that the other end of the cable was connected to the integrated ethernet board.

What could this mean? I called the manufacturer's tech support about it, and they said, and I quote, "The intregrated service tag identifier is there for
assisting customers in the event of lost or misplaced personal information."

He then hung up.

A little more research, and I found that that board spliced in between the
keyboard and the ethernet chip is little more than a Keyghost hardware keylogger. The reasons a computer manufacturer would put this in their laptops can only
be left up to your imagination. It would be very impractical to hand-anylze the logs, and very CPU-intensive to do so on a computer for every person that purchased a laptop. Why are these keyloggers here? I recently almost found out.

I called the police, as having a keylogger unknown to me in my laptop is a serious offense. They told me to call the Department of Homeland Security. At this point, I am in disbelief. Why would the DHS have a keylogger in my laptop?

It was surreal.

So I called them, and they told me to submit a Freedom of Information Act request. This is what I got back:

Under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) the only items exempt from public disclosure are items relating to "law enforcement tools and techniques" and "items relating to national security."

The real life implications of this are plain: Computer manufacturers appear to be cooperating with the Department of Homeland Security to make every person who
buys a new computer subject to immediate, unrestricted government recording of everything they do on those computers! EVERYTHING !

This information can be sent to DHS, online, without your knowledge or consent, without a search warrant or even probable cause! That's why this device is hard-wired directly into the ethernet card, which communicates over the internet!

I am not certain how long this information will be permitted to remain online for all the world to see before the government takes some type of action to attempt to have it removed from public view. I URGE you to take copy of this page immediately and spread this information to everyone you know immediately! The more people who find out about this, the more can protect themselves and raise a HUGE outcry to force government and computer manufacturers to immediately CEASE installing these devices in new computers!
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP