Users Online Now: 2,129 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,038,574
Pageviews Today: 1,439,255Threads Today: 393Posts Today: 6,867
11:56 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Scratched by friend's cat - now its swollen - is it infected??
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message hi. i went to thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house. while i was petting one of her cats it scratched my hand. It hurt but I didn't think much of it. I washed it with soap and water and left it alone - i looked for polysporin in their medicine cabinet, but didn't find any and I didn't mention that it had happened.

If I wake up tomorrow and its more swollen, I'm going to have to go to urgent care. If i go there, they're going to ask about how i got the scratch. if i tell them it was my friend's cat, i think they'll send animal control to her house. i don't want that to happen.

with the way my hand has already gotten swollen - not huge, but it is noticeably bigger than my other hand - do you think its already infected?? I've had polysporin on it this evening and I just now applied some tea tree oil to it + bandaids. the last thing i want is for this thing to get infected and to have to go to urgent care. they'll want to consider rabies shots or something if they don't know if the cat that scratched me had current rabies vaccinations.

i went through this once before about 7 years ago with a neighbor's cat that actually bit me - a punture, far worse than these two superficial scratches. That time I told them the cat was a stray and I didn't id anybody as owning it, and animal control still came out and set traps for it. they never got it.

anyone know what else i can do right now to keep this thing from getting infected?

(if its more swollen in the morning, i will call my friend and tell her what's going on and ask her if her cats are current on rabies. if they are, i would still be reluctant to tell the ER people that I know that, i'll just take the antibiotics and decline the rabies shots. something weird about that whole situation that the medical insurance people don't want to handle but no one will say why. does anyone know?

thanks, sorry for rambling.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP