Users Online Now: 1,271 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 231,120
Pageviews Today: 379,514Threads Today: 119Posts Today: 2,179
05:32 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The Skeptics INCH Game!!! - Do UFOs/Aliens Exist? Wanna play?
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message You guys want to play the inch game?

Here's how it works, I'll start with something you agree with and then, very slowly, we'll inch away from the area where you are comfortable.

The majority of you are willing to state:
"The universe is too big not to have life elsewhere, but there's no way it's here."

So, lets start with that:
1. Agreed - There is probably other life in the universe.

Would it be too much to ask to step forward an inch from there?

2. There is probably intelligent life in the universe.

Not so bad, right? You doing ok?

Now, an inch further would be to say:

3. The other life in the universe would probably have an interest in other life.

Yeah, we can accept that?

Let's go a little further:

4. Other life in the universe could possibly be hundreds of thousands of years older than us.

"Makes sense, it's an old place and we're a relatively recent addition."

Still feeling ok? Legs not too shaky yet? Well lets go!:

5. The older civilizations (100,000-200,000) have probably progressed in technology way beyond us. They can most likely seed life on other planets (panspermia/exogenesis) and might have found a way to travel great distances through space rapidly; either sublight, or interdimensional, or tunneling - doesn't matter which.

"Well grumble, grumble," says the skeptic. "I guess so, but I don't like the faster than light bit, but ok. I'll accept that it's possible if you're writing a sci-fi book."

Good enough. Well done. Let's pinch another inch:

6. So it is safe to say that, had they wanted to, extraterrestrials could have seeded life here on earth a long long long time ago in our past? (even if it was a million years ago and maybe they'd taken a million years to travel to get here before that.) I'm just asking if it is possible; not whether they did.

"Grumble grumble. Well, possible... I guess. It could have happened but there's no evidence! There's no evidence!"

Yes, I know, I know. There there, try and stay calm. Another inch:

7. If they might have done such a thing, would it stand to reason that they might have hung around somewhere close to keep an eye on things, OR that they might plan a trip sometime after said seeding to research how the little petri dish was doing?

"Well, no. I mean, you're crossing the line here. I mean, the expanse of space... the limitations... I mean, there's relativity to consider, and aging and muscle fatigue... and you'd have to... it would be a terribly expensive... the energy required... i just don't think so."

If they were biologically adept they could have created bodies that didn't self-destruct and deteriorate like ours; biological robots essentially; puppets. They could have done it is the point. You didn't really disagree back there, you just stuttered a lot. Can we go one more inch just to wrap up the exercise?

"I guess."

Ok. Here we are. The last one. Seems so close, right? All we moved was inches away from our first statement. And yet, when looked at by itself it seems so illogical and crazy and unbelievable. Let's read it together now:

8. So, doesn't it stand to reason that, another intelligence, perhaps far older than us, is.... here? On earth? Now?

"Absolutely not!"

"...No way in hell! You are an idiot. You are stupid. I am smart. Please die. Have you met my friend science? He's awesome. And he could kick your ass. But he's really old and it's really tough to change his mind about anything. Like a large corporation, he isn't very swift at changing directions suddenly. Seriously. But he's like a mathematical ninja that could dominate you with formulas! Do you have any formulas, punk? Let's see your formulas! Show me an alien! Make my day!"

This is the end. But I will leave you with this thought: That with a little imagination, it is only inches more to think that a civilization with 200,000 years old technology might have found a way to exist between dimensions (or that they started out there and found a way into ours), flitting between them at will (hence: superfast travel, no physical evidence); that they may be able to travel in time (hence: superfast travel, no physical evidence, only ever blurry pictures perfectly suitable for 'plausible denial' by skeptics and squeals of delight from believers; as if someone was trying to wake us up to their existence very slowly and carefully.) Scary stuff, huh?

"The only thing scary is what an idiot you are."

Yes, I know. It's hard for me too.
hiding

Idea A is right and B is wrong~!
Idea B is right and A is wrong~!

5a hf
bsflag
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge