Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Fire in the Sky in Canada
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Mysterious bright light seen over Edmonton
Laura Drake, edmontonjournal.com
Published: Thursday, November 20
EDMONTON - It wasn't a bird and it wasn't a plane, but whatever it was in the skies over the city last night was far more exciting than either of those.

People across western Canada reported seeing a bright flaming object light up the sky around 5:30 p.m. Thursday. It was variously described as green, yellow, purple and blue and appeared as either an explosion or an object streaking through the sky. Sightings came from across the prairies; from as far south as Medicine Hat and as far north as Beauval, Sask., 600 kilometres from Edmonton.

Edmonton International Airport spokesman Jim Rudolph said "the skies east of the airport lit up" at 5:27 p.m.

A myterious bright light lit up the evening sky over Edmonton just before 5:30. There are reports that the phenomena was also seen as far north as Fort MacMurray and east as Saskatchewan.
Global Skytracker

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****"According to NavCanada, it appears that this was the result of a meteorite, but that has not been confirmed," said Rudolph, adding that operations at the airport were not affected.

[link to www.canada.com]

"What we probably saw was a fireball, which is the result of a rock coming into the atmosphere," said Chris Herd, an associate professor in the University of Alberta's department of earth and atmospheric sciences and curator of the university's meterorite collection.

"The big question now is whether or not anything hit the ground."

Though many of the witnesses who contacted the Journal claimed to see something land, Herd said that was likely an optical illusion. Since the fireball was a bright light several kilometers up in a sky, it would have appeared close to anyone who saw it. If something did hit the ground, it's extremely unlikely anyone would have seen it. As the object fell through Earth's atmosphere, it would slow down, and the resulting decrease in friction would cause it to stop burning, Herd said.

"What we know about fireballs is that they're bright burning up for a certain amount of time in the atmosphere but then they stop burning brightly. If there's a rock that continues after that, it's falling in dark flight," he said.

"This could literally be a couple of kilometers up in the air and it could fall the whole rest of the way without giving off any

light. It could drop like a rock to the ground."

Herd said while fireballs are quite frequent, they don't generally happen over populated areas.

"Something as bright as this is pretty rare," he said.

If something did ultimately hit the ground, Herd said, it would be a very exciting find.

"It's not often that something actually lands and is found because of all the factors that are working against you," he said, adding he hopes anyone who finds a new rock in their yard tomorrow would get in touch with him.

For those who witnessed the fireball, Herd suggested that they report it to the Meteorites and Impacts Advisory Committee to the Canadian Space Agency, which can be found at Miac.uqac.ca.

- with files from Jamie Hall

[email protected]

© Edmonton Journal 2008
COMMENTS ON THIS STORYAdd Your CommentJay OttThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:29 PM
I saw this event from Castledowns area, it appeared to be East-South-Eastbound on a diagonal trajectory across the sky. Exact words, out loud, to myself: "wtf was that?!". It certainly appeared that air traffic surrounding Municipal had some kind of advance warning of events however as its patterns appeared jam packed with aircraft lights everywhere. Or just a busy evening? I don't know...awfully mysterious. Very interesting.
m birdThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:31 PM
anyone know where it landed??
Kelly GehlenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:32 PM
Bright light was seen in Kitscoty AB and a large rumble was heard and felt in Marshall SK
BgThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:34 PM
My brother was around the University and saw the bright light right above him. He thought it landed somewhere south, but couldn't tell if it hit the South side of the City. He thought it was a Meteor. Aliens???
"Saw" it tooThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:35 PM
I was in Sherwood Park around 5:20 pm driving back from picking up my son from a friend, when out of the corner of my eye I too saw this tremendous flash in the sky to my left. I even flinched, but couldn't actually turn my head to look at the sky and see what it was, since it would have been dangerous for me to do so. I fully expected to come around the corner and see something on fire in the distance, but nothing. I'd love to know for real what it was.
scottThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:40 PM
i think it was an alien
M.Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:42 PM
Yeah we saw it here in St. Albert...
MichaelThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:43 PM
I was sitting on the bus heading home, and at about 5:30 out to the east the sky started to light up until it got REALLY bright until there was this HUGE fireball in the east sky. After 3 or 4 seconds it finally "broke up" and then there was a large fireball falling towards the ground. It looked almost like a firework going up, but in the opposite direction. It must have been a very large meteorite because the fireball was brighter than the sun, and it literally lit up the entire eastern sky.
Andrew GThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:53 PM
It was quite incredible, the colours were amazing. I witnessed it from Hardisty AB, looking East North East. Looking for a video of it!!!
I knowThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:54 PM
Its Martians, I tell ya...
SteveThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:56 PM
Terr'rists!
fabianThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:57 PM
MacTs' comin' down on some other Oiler!
seanThu, Nov 20, 08 at 08:58 PM
Could it be Santa? Green, red, lights, north,,,,,,,,,,, probably carrying more presents this year to help with economy
[email protected], Nov 20, 08 at 08:59 PM
I saw it from my office building on 84st and 118 ave ....looking eastbound it came from the sky and was very bright ...i thought it was fire works because the colors changed a bit fluttering diffrent colors....all we thought was what the hell is that ....i never seen anything like that before !!
ALThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:00 PM
got a ride from my uncle and he said there was light in the sky, then it just dissapeared and turned green/red
JamThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:00 PM
Watch out for the little green men! They are coming to attack!!!! LOL
DevonThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:04 PM
I was driving down HWY 60 south (west of Edmonton) and the whole sky lit up like lightening - I looked left and saw a huge orange flare shoot straight to earth. Appeared to hit between me & the city. Goosebumps for 10 min. Hope nothing's burning out there.
asiaThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:04 PM
I saw it from my high rise apartment about 5:30 I was on the phone with my friend, and i saw i bright light lighting the sky up then it looked like a fireball shooting sparks out i almost looked like a firework, pretty damn crazy ,i hope it wasnt an airplane or anything like that, it was really bright
Seen it tooThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:06 PM
I am in Meadow Lake, SK, and me and my son seen the sky light up. It was all blue outside. Brighter than lightening.
MackenzieThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:08 PM
Awww, shucks! All you Prairie guys bin' spending too much time in the bars watchin' yer' Eskies or them Ruffies! Bright lights in the sky, huh? Awwww... shucks!
MarkMundenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:09 PM
I seen the southern part of the sky light up here in Fort McMurray, "It Looked Like Lightning In The Sky!"
TeriThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:09 PM
I live in Red Deer and I saw the bright light as I was driving north on Gaetz Avenue through the city. I immediately thought it was a thunderstorm because of the way the sky lit up, but that didn't make much sense. It was certainly something!!
JenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:10 PM
I saw it as I was driving to Grant MacEwan for my night class, I was headed East and I saw it fly through the sky and it looked like it landed somehwere East of the City, it was Huge I have never seen anything like it. I called my boyfriend right away and said "holly ####" I saw the craziest thing ever....he said I know I saw a huge flash.....did you see lightning or something" and I said "No.... I swear I saw a Meteorite" It was amazing OMG it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen......then I called my dad and told him the same thing....he kind of laughed and I said dad check the news cause this thing landed somewhere I swear it came down so fast and then there was a huge boom and the whole sky lit up it was coming down at at 45-60 degree angle through the sky it happened so quickly
JoanneThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:12 PM
I live 15 miles north of Saskatoon, SK and was in just putting garbage out around 6:30 p.m. when I saw what looked like about 12 flash bulbs going off outside. At first I thought I was a light burning out, then thought it was a digital flash, then it was over. My sister who lives 2 hours west of Saskatoon said her daughter saw the fireball in the sky break up followed by a trail of smoke.
TYThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:15 PM
I was driving home from Calgary to Airdrie and I could see the flash and the fireball falling. It looked like a bomb went off in the sky and a comet tail of fire falling to the earth towards the north. It looked like it was pretty close even from here.
BrentThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:16 PM
It was visible at the same time down east of Strathmore as a very bright light lighting up the sky in the NE .
JThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:16 PM
I was right there walking home from a friends i thought it was a bomb i booked it in the opposite direction it was blue and green, size like a smart car and i felt the ground shake! It was freaky cars were doing u turns and i thought to get in one but i just kept booking it.
drewThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:19 PM
i seen it while driving form leth bridge to medicine hat. bright green like a firework to bright red and you could see it breaking apart. looked north east of med hat
doodleThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:19 PM
hope its no "andromeda strain" ;)
The AliensThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:19 PM
We are cool, come say hi to us!
JorgeThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:20 PM
My first thought was..lightning. Then I realized it is November.
kyleThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:24 PM
here in medicine hat also. no sound, just a bright flash of light. ALIENS???
alberta ehThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:25 PM
it was santa clause
MarieThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:25 PM
Santa Claus maybe - hehehe!
Fredy RamsoondarThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:26 PM
Meteorites are fragments of rock and/or metal that fall to Earth from space. Having broken away from a larger extraterrestrial body, meteorites can measure anything from a fraction of a millimetre to the size of a football pitch and bigger. Captured by Earth's gravitational force, they are accelerated to speeds of over 11.2 kilometres per second. As they enter Earth's thick gassy atmosphere they slow rapidly due to the friction and glow, flashing across the sky like a firework, before finally crashing to the ground
BF Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 7:21 PMThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:28 PM
The aliens are coming to invade the earth and take us back to their world.
GregThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:28 PM
I was on the way home from Calgary to Strathmore when I saw it. It came through the clouds after lighting up the entire sky, and as soon as it past through the clouds it burst into about 4 smaller pieces. As soon as it burst the light went out. It looked like it landed about 5 KM NW of Strathmore.
KWThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:34 PM
Our farmyard lit up for a few seconds south of Vermilion!!
KenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:37 PM
I saw the fireball while driving just north of Saskatoon. It was at about the same time, just before 6:30PM Saskatchewan time. I was about 5 min. before Warman when there was a very bright light to the west. The fireball looked like it was falling almost straight down. I thought it was going to hit the ground but it exploded before it hit the ground. There were a few smaller fireballs that exploded outward. It looked like it landed close to Martensville, which was 5 km away, but it was likely much further away. I've seen a couple very bright "shooting stars" before but they moved across the sky, not down to the ground like that. My wife and neighbor both saw the flash of light from inside the house (in Warman). It was very cool.
LloydThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:39 PM
How bright...bright as hell!!
MikeThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:39 PM
It was all the hopes and expectations of realty and oil speculators plummeting to the ground.
JimThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:42 PM
All the hippies will blame it on the OILsands
LisaThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:43 PM
gee, some people actually believe in aliens, little green men, santa claus? try a man-made satillite gone wrong and breaking up instead.
Bridget FantaThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:46 PM
I was in my living room around 5:15 when I looked out and saw the sky light up bright green, and saw this huge red come-like object bright orange flying through the sky and landing, looked like not far away. I live in Wetaskwin,and I saw it in the East. It was a very big object..looked like it was on fire.. it freaked me out. The first thing I thought was aliens, or a UFO.
S JacobThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:49 PM
i was driving down 28 Ave in Edmonton Millwoods area at some time past 5.25 and saw this bright light falling across the sky. wasnt sure of what it was but the lady beside me thought it was a star. anyone knows where it fell? (if it fell at all!)
ToodleThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:50 PM
Yeesss fools! I am here! Take me to your leader. Gimme blood
jThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:52 PM
saw it in spruce grove , thought it was one of those halogen lights at first, lit up the buildings outside our house
anyone noticeThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:53 PM
It got really windy after that happened??
DMThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:54 PM
Oh! You better watch out, You better not cry, You better not pout, I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is coming to town! He's making a list, He's checking it twice, He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice. Santa Claus is coming to town! Guess he arrived! Hey Santa - how's it going?
[email protected], Nov 20, 08 at 09:54 PM
Must be my lucky day! I was out for my evening walk in St. Albert and wondered if I could believe my eyes. This thing was so bright but went so fast I wasn't sure what I'd seen! At first I thought it was Fireworks but then I wondered if a plane went down or was it a Meteor? What a thrill!
RobThu, Nov 20, 08 at 09:56 PM
Any update yet?
The AlbertanThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:02 PM
bush... or Obama will be thinking that was Iraqs WMD...
Bridget FantaThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:04 PM
Hi i added a comment earlier, and it didn't get posted. Here is another one. I live in Wetaskiwin, and I saw the sky light up green-like and followed by an orange ball of fire, sparking to the ground..looked like not far from where I saw it. It was a huge thing, lighting up the sky and falling, sparking. It was cool and weird at the same time. The first thing I thought of was Aliens or a UFO landing.
JLBThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:04 PM
I was driving my car and turning at the corner of Ellerslie Road and Stanton Drive in SE Edmonton when I saw what looked like a big ball of fire (with a long tail) falling into the open field, south of Ellerslie. I said, "What the hell was that?" I took a second look at the field, half expecting to see something on fire, but I saw nothing, just darkness.
SarahThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:04 PM
I live in Wainwright Alberta and we thought we saw a bolt of lightening tonight at that time...is it possible we could have seen it here too...we all were shocked by the bright flash of light out our front south window...
JoyThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:04 PM
I am 9km east of Boyle and saw a flash, almost like someone switched on a light for a brief second around 530pm.
RayleneThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:18 PM
I am a little worried...if independence day has started....someone needs to get the word out!!!...I am hopin its Santa...hohoho
Sean&Linda&samantha&tanishaThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:18 PM
Driving into the city from legal when Myself and grandchildrn saw a fireball shooting across the sky and then it disappearded. with a line of fire following it.. SCARY!
sunny1Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:19 PM
I saw it too, while just looking out of my patio windowed balcony on the south side of Edmonton. It was the most briliant colored flash I have ever see, (time about 5:20 pm) Is it the aliens?? lol
dgThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:20 PM
saw it in vermilion
JCThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:20 PM
I think it was oilers fans crashing back to earth...
PennyThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:21 PM
ANYONE know where it landed??
LibbyThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:23 PM
Could explain my flight delay... and my missing luggage? Definitely paranormal!
elaineThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:23 PM
neilburg,sask saw the bright light and heard the rumble
TedThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:25 PM
Maybe Bronconnier and Harper finally found their ride home because we don't want them here.
MikeThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:27 PM
I live on the border of Elk Island Park and we saw the sky go white. Didn't actually see the thing that caused it but it was like a really intense lightning strike for about three seconds. Absolute daylight in the yard. Should I be checking for mysterious smouldering rocks in the yard?
DanThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:32 PM
I was in Sherwood Park and observed the object while waiting at a traffic light. It was similar to a flare that seemed to fall slower than a "shooting star". It was bright yellow with an orangish long tail. It was falling in a southerly direction what appeared to be due east of Sherwood Park. My first thought was an emergency signal flare falling in a nearby yard. The speed, bightness and trajectory lent itself to a much larger object falling much faster and much further away. I am guessing Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Very cool.
HelenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:33 PM
My office mate saw it out the window here in Cold Lake, AB. I heard her say, "What in the world was that! Is someone shooting fireworks! I just saw a big blue light!" I didn't see it ... I get the crappy view ... the wall!
GlenThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:34 PM
...lit up the whole sky over Saskatoon...
TerryThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:35 PM
Was sitting in my car with my daughter and we saw the bright flash as well here in Camrose, Alberta
a-rorThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:41 PM
Getting a drink and saw this huge light in the sky and saw a big red ball fly past south cooking lake!
MartinThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:47 PM
i missed the whole damn thing! Was driving north from the south side of Edm.. heard about it on the radio. I always miss the neat stuff!! I had a small meteroite fizzle out in front of my car as I was driving between Lamont and Bruderhiem years ago. Oh well, back to my boring life watching sportsnet!
KevThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:50 PM
The second coming?
KellyThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:52 PM
I was in the livingroom (windows face to the south and east) watching the tube and the night sky literally (for 2 or 3 seconds) was brighter than daylight. Light was streaming into the house for a brief moment. It was almost bright like lights on an aircraft (white light). I went outside on the deck and heard nothing unusual but looking up there appeared to be a smoke trail (for lack of a better description) hanging in the sky in a ESE direction. BTW, I live in Lloydminster.
JasonThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:52 PM
I was driving Northwest on Hwy 14 around Irma (Wainwright); saw the sky light up like day for 2 seconds but did not see the actual fireball.
ChezneyThu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:58 PM
It was probably that astronaut's bag of tools.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP