Users Online Now: 2,242 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 543,540
Pageviews Today: 869,448Threads Today: 349Posts Today: 5,510
09:19 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject It's looking like things could get scary in the near future. What actions have you taken in response? What would be some more things you could
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I get quite worried over the prospect of dollar collapse, mass unemployment, transportation disruptions, etc. which we have all talked about here and are being discussed regularly in the mainstream news.

So far I have stockpiled quite a pantry of food, canned goods, dry goods, condiments, herbs and natural medicines, and supplies. And some water. The food is enough for several months, assuming I can cook it and get water.

I have a small tent and some tarps, and a stove and some propane. (I really don't think it will be practical for me to live in a tent city though.)

What else? I have some cash on hand.

I think my job is relatively secure, although not lucrative. Now if there was a major disruption in consumer credit, major disruption in currency, would any place stay in business?

I live in a smaller city which does not have a large minority population, although it has a fair amount of transients, would hate to see more homeless/panhandlers/street people/drug dealers etc than we already have . .
Some pretty scary ones come through here sometimes.

I don't think "bugging out" is any kind of option for me. I really have no place to go. I have a cat too, which was semi feral and is poorly socialized, and wouldn't move well at all. Sorry the cat is important. We saw what happened to abandoned pets after Katrina. I am not going to participate in anything like that. I do have some morals and integrity and they do extend to animals.

Here's what I am thinking are the missing pieces for me, I need to stay in better touch with friends and family, my family is far away, I have one relative who is closer who I should renew and deepen my relationship with. My friends are scattered or far away and some I have started to lose touch with. I would like to work on my relationships. I am lucky to have sterling co-workers, who I think are dependable in a crisis, almost like family members.

So, building relationships, seems like an important priority. I have a boyfriend, a very good relationship indeed, and a long established one, but we do not live close by each other, it is still almost qualifying as a long distance relationship (which has its strong points to recommend it, believe me). He is pretty clued into what's going on and has finally started to put some food aside too, and has an evacuation kit and a few camping things.

Neither one of us has a car.

I do not have a means of self defense. I do not know my neighbors very well, I live in an area of very high turnover rentals (students!). However they do all seem to be nice people, and I know one or two people on the block who are more long term. And the area has been getting more stable in the last year or two.

My bills are very low to match my income. My biggest asset is low overhead. I don't want to compromise that. Also I am settled here and hate the thought of abandoning the infrastructure of my apartment which I have struggled to build up since I moved cross country and started over with nothing.

Oh another thing I have going for me is a library of practical books, seriously, I have gardening books, food preserving books, natural medicine books, and sewing books like you wouldn't believe. Also seeds and tons of sewing stuff and fabric. Lots of herbs and supplements.

--------------------------

On a less personal note, thinking about solutions in general for more people and for the long term, the only thing I have come up with that appeals to me is for a group of people to decide to all move to a small town, we keep hearing about small towns with population loss and boarded up main streets, what if an energetic and inspired bunch of people moved there, each independently of each other, not like a club or formal group, and each tried to contribute to the town, from their own skills and ideas, not from some preconcieved plan, but just because they live there now and they are who they are with what they have to offer, only now they have cooler neighbors, so that makes it easier, maybe.

in my imagination, it's like what if everyone I ever knew, the people I went to college with, old friends etc, current acquaintances all moved to the same vicinity, locality, just to be neighbors, not to join a cult or form a company, no heirarchy, just proximity . . .

????????????????????????

I know a lot about plants, that's for sure. I worked with them for years. I would be a good gardener if I had a place to garden. I do not want to live in a free standing house because of security concerns. I like apartment living and think of living over a storefront someday.

What kind of things have you done to prepare for hard times? What have you been thinking you could do more? What are your ideas for a long term solution for yourself and others, or for society?

Oh I forgot to say, one huge step, very important step that I already took, was to get out of the big city. That counts for a lot right there. Never looked back either.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP