Users Online Now: 1,332 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 291,603
Pageviews Today: 383,568Threads Today: 122Posts Today: 1,492
03:17 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The Survivalist: Canned Pumpkin for My Survival/Hard Times Pantry!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Now, I don't have that many canned goods for my survival/hard times pantry, so this year I thought I'd stock up on a couple of canned foods on seasonal sales.

I found a lot of canned pumpkin sales this week, $1.37 per 15 oz can of Libby's canned Pumpkin at Wal-mart and $1.99 per 15 oz can of organic canned pumpkin at my co-op.

I bought two cases of the organic canned pumpkin.

Why 2 cases of canned pumpkin, you may ask?

Pumpkin is an anti-oxidant packed fruit with anti-aging and disease fighting benefits. It contains alpha-carotenes, beta-carotenes, vitamins E & C, pantothenic acid, fiber, potassium & magnesium. [link to food-facts.suite101.com]

Canned pumpkin recipes are also incredibly easy and fast.

After trying these easy, super nutritious recipes, I think that canned pumpkin is a definite win to stock a couple of cases for my survival/hard times pantry.

I also picked up a case of whole berry cranberry sauce. That stuff is really good mixed in plain yogurt with orange juice and it's another great anti-oxidant-packed fruit that comes inexpensively canned on sale this time of the year. I don't like sweet jams and preserves, so cranberry sauce is a great low-cost health food for my hard times pantry.

Pumpkin Soup with Smoked Paprika Recipe

* 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
* 1 small red onion, minced**
* 1 garlic clove, minced**
* 1 tsp smoked paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1-1/3 cup chicken broth
* 3/4 cup milk
* Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, simmer briefly and then serve hot.

** I actually kept out the onion and garlic until it was done cooking and cooled slightly, because I like to eat raw onions and garlic for health reasons, and this worked great in this soup. The soup was definitely not too strong for raw garlic, and my husband happily had 2 cups of it, even though he'd never tasted a pumpkin soup before.

Thai-spiced Pumpkin Coconut Soup Recipe

2 15 oz cans pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 teaspoon (or more) red Thai curry paste
water
2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt (or to taste)

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, simmer for a few minutes and then serve hot. Chicken broth may be used to thin, if too thick.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP