Users Online Now: 2,150 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,019,841
Pageviews Today: 1,411,027Threads Today: 390Posts Today: 6,704
11:44 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy -15 Arab-American students at Edsel Ford High School are in trouble
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to www.clickondetroit.com]

Sorry don't know how to embed this type of video.
There is a 14 second commerical followed by the News Report

[link to www.clickondetroit.com]

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy
Hoodie Contains Image Of World Trade Center Towers

POSTED: Tuesday, January 5, 2010
UPDATED: 6:24 pm EST January 5, 2010

DEARBORN, Mich. -- About 15 Arab-American students at Edsel Ford High School are in trouble over a class sweatshirt they had made over the holiday break.

The class of 2011 sweatshirt has the number 11 made to look like the World Trade Center Towers. The school's mascot, a Thunderbird, is seen flying toward the number.

Watch: Sweatshirts Sparks Controversy

Under the graphic, a tagline reads, "You can't bring us down."

The students wore the hooded sweatshirts to school Monday. They were immediately sent to the principal's office.

The sweatshirts were confiscated.

“What took place here today was an inappropriate, distasteful act,” said David Mustonen, a spokesman for Dearborn Schools. “(It was) totally inappropriate, totally disrespectful, and they just were not thinking.”

The students told the principal they didn’t mean any harm by having the sweatshirts made.

Other students who heard about and saw the shirts said they were disgusted.

“I found them very offensive and I didn’t think it was funny or fun at all,” said Brittany Johnson, a senior at Edsel Ford High.

The school has not said what disciplinary action will be taken against the students.

“If I was in charge, I would have them expelled,” said Lindsey Winstrand. “But I think suspension is the least they can do.”

The students told the principal they had the sweatshirts made at the Gibraltar Trade Center for about $25 each.
Copyright 2010 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP