Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject The bitch Palin is supporting Bilderberg attendee Rick Perry
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message [link to blogs.houstonpress.com]

Perry & Palin, Sittin' In A Tree: Empty Seats, Bad Music And Lots Of Old White People

With all the attention focused on yesterday's annual Clash of the Performance Enhanced Titans in Miami, it was easy to overlook the other star-studded exhibition taking place in town. An event that, like the Super Bowl, boasted top-tier entertainment and a boisterous crowd while requiring little in the way of actual thought. I'm speaking, of course, about Governor Rick Perry's "Super Sunday with Sarah Palin" rally at the Berry Center in Cypress.

If I'm going to be charitable about it, I'd say the center was filled to slightly over half its 8,500-seat capacity. Most of the rear of the arena was empty, as was about three-quarters of the floor, which had been sectioned off for presumably more teeming masses. Speaking with some of those in attendance, it also became apparent that this number would have been dramatically lower without Palin's presence. Some folks had come from as far away as San Antonio and Austin to hear her speak.

I didn't ask how many were there to see Ted Nugent.

Attendees started filing in shortly after 1:30. They were welcomed by dozens of rally placards strategically placed in the stands -- presumably for those who'd left their own "Perry 2010" signs at home -- and by numerous inspirational banners festooning the center. My favorite -- which is in no way a play on an idiotic statement made last year by the Governor -- is below:

Even before the rally proper started, it became clear that the Republican Party is going to have to change up its game plan if it wants to stay in any way relevant to future politics. In particular, they might want to consider diversifying themselves a bit musically. Bumper songs consisting of country artists like Eric Church and country/rock artists like .38 Special tend to attract...a certain demographic. And for a group that gives lip service to being "inclusive" of all races and creeds, their soundtrack sure sounds like something played exclusively at the Bob's Country Bunker. I mean, I wasn't the only person who commented that pretty much the only black people in attendance (not counting Railroad Commisioner Michael Williams) were Berry Center staff or highway patrolmen.

Senator Dan Patrick kicked off the festivities, opening with a crack about how if they'd had five more people in attendance, it would've equaled the number of "czars Obama has in Washington." It never hurts to dredge up that old Cold War era hatred of all things Soviet, though someone will have to refresh my memory if Patrick and his ilk were similarly critical of George W. Bush (or Ronald Reagan, or George H.W. Bush) for their "czars" as well.

The rally continued with Aggie country singer Granger Smith (in yet another display of canny strategizing, Perry and company seemed to expect everyone in attendance to be a Texas A&M graduate). His set was mostly inoffensive, even if he sports the same baldness-concealing headgear favored by the lead singer of Survivor.

Patrick also introduced Perry appointee Texas Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman. Because putting Latina judges on the bench is only pandering to a much-needed demographic when Obama does it.

I suppose they were going for that "down home" vibe, what with the Boy Scout troop presenting the colors and the marching band providing musical accompaniment, but the whole thing really just felt cheap and hastily thrown together. And nothing demonstrated that better than Ted Nugent's performance of the National Anthem, which was plagued by mic and feedback problems. He soldiered gamely on, to the "delight" of Perry's more staid supporters.

Yeah she's a real Patriot... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP