The signs that America is turning into a third-world nation are showing up everywhere ( [link to www2.macleans.ca
] Witness the crumbling of our infrastructure, most notably demonstrated by the I-35W bridge collapse ( [link to en.wikipedia.org
] in Minneapolis, killing 13 people and injuring 145, to the more recent natural gas pipeline explosion ( [link to en.wikipedia.org
] that burned 47 homes and killed 4 people with some still missing in San Bruno, California. What do we now have in common with Nigeria? Just like Nigeria, we are now a nation in which an oil giant from another country can come into our waters and our fisheries and spill millions of barrels of oil, cover up the severity of the gusher, and take into its control the entire government from the local parish presidents to the President of the United States.
You may be aware of the continuing downward spiral of places like Detroit ( [link to www.nytimes.com
] And in Ohio, the Ashtabula County Sheriff has let the people of his county know that they can no longer necessarily depend on the sheriff's department to come to their rescue and that his department will no longer respond to property crimes (). “We have no patrol units. There is no one on the streets. We respond to only crimes in progress. We don’t respond to property crimes,” deputy sheriff Ron Fenton told Maclean’s. The county once had a “very proactive” detective division in narcotics. Now, there is no detective division. “We are down to one evidence officer and he just runs the evidence room in case someone wants to claim property,” said Fenton. “People are getting property stolen, their houses broken into, and there is no one investigating. We are basically just writing up a report for the insurance company.”
America's Crumbling Infrastructure
[link to www.youtube.com
Third World America MAP: Share Your Stories Of Struggle And Success!
[link to www.huffingtonpost.com
The American Middle Class is disappearing before our very eyes ( [link to www.ibtimes.com
] "From foreclosures to unemployment to household debt to bankruptcies, the American middle class is under assault -- and America is in danger of becoming a Third World nation," writes Arianna Huffington in Huffington Post ( [link to www.huffingtonpost.com
] Thousands of jobs are being lost in the United States every day. How much longer will the jobs continue to hemorrhage? How much more can the Middle Class take? And what does this say about those who were already in poverty?
A new trend is emerging from the budget cuts being forced on the nation's infrastructure that looks more like "regression", rather than "progression". We have always existed in a growth paradigm; one where we enjoy progress. But today we're seeing municipalities cutting back on basic services like garbage collection. They are also turning off street lights at night to save money, leaving some neighborhoods vulnerable to increased incidents of crime. Some areas have begun to save money by downgrading their roads, opting to tear up asphalt in favor of gravel in order to save money ( [link to www.popfi.com
Our financial system and the US Dollar are on the verge of collapse. How much longer can our economy be propped up by what is fast becoming a third-world financial system, with the richest 2% owning almost all the wealth while the remaining 98% try to scratch out a proud existance?
Is our country fading from it's former glory as the major superpower in the world? Will we be rescued from a fate that would have us homeless and hungry in our own former Land-o-Plenty? Are we becoming "Third World America"?
Join us at 10pm ET tonight in GLP Voice Chat for "Third World America" with your host Ovis.