Self publishing is the new way to reach out to the public.
Follow these steps to publish your own book, have it available to the public world-wide, and possibly make a profit in the process.
1. Write a manuscript. About whatever you want to. Any size, short or long.
2. Find someone to edit it for you. You can edit it yourself though if you want to.
3. Do the cover art. If you have the knowledge to put a picture and graphics together into a jpeg file you can do it yourself. Or you can pay someone to do that for you.
4. Format the text document. There are several outlets that will sell your book/story/rant. Each explains in detail the formatting required for their site. Amazon, Barnes and Nobel, Kobo, Sony, Apple, etc.
5. Upload to the site. They all have instructions. Or you can use an aggregator like smashwords, you upload once to them and they re-format and distribute to the major sites.
Believe it, that's all there is to it. You don't need an agent, or a publisher. You don't have to submit to a publishing company and hope they'll accept your work. You are in complete and total control. You even set the price.
This is a complete shift away from traditional publishing. It's available to you with a computer and an internet link. It's all you now, if you want to do it.