This article provides background on MUJWA -
- MUJWA is based in city of GAO. It has been called a splinter group of AQIM.
- It's founders/leaders are Malian ARAB not Taureg. (Not Algerian like AQIM).
- Most founders/leaders from the al-Amhar tribe, one of several Arab tribes from the Tilemsi Valley region north of Gao
- The al-Amhar tribe is believed to largely control the cocaine trade in northern Mali, in addition to other legitimate and illegitimate businesses...
- Before MUJWA was founded, profits from the cocaine trade greatly increased tribe's influence & shifted the balance of power among the Arab tribes around GAO.
- Is MUJWA cover for drug smuggling or reaction to social changes caused by drug smuggling? (article raises but does not answer that question)..
[link to thewasat.wordpress.com