Well here in Long Island, NY we just got a call from county warning us of bad weather coming this way and to expect winds up to 60mph from 3.00am to 10.00am and to take the usual precautions due to possible falling trees etc. Only other time ever we got a warning like this was just before Sandy hit. Not saying it's alarming - but interesting nevertheless. Quoting: Anonymous Coward 18713240
WTF? You're right! From weather underground:
... Wind Advisory in effect from 4 am to 10 am EST Friday...
The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Wind
Advisory... which is in effect from 4 am to 10 am EST Friday.
* Locations... New York City Metro area... southern Connecticut... and
* Hazards... strong gusty winds.
* Winds... southeast 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
* Timing... winds will increase this evening... with the strongest
winds expected between 3 and 10 am Friday morning.
* Impacts... winds of this magnitude could down trees and power
lines... resulting in power outages.
A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph...
or gusts of 46 to 57 mph... are expected or occurring. Winds this
strong can make driving difficult... especially for high profile
vehicles. Use extra caution.