A Connecticut attorney puts a lawsuit against the state on hold as he reviews new evidence on security at the Newtown school.
11:44pm UK, Tuesday 01 January 2013 A Connecticut attorney seeking to sue the state for $100m (£62m) on behalf of a six-year-old survivor of the Newtown school massacre has withdrawn the claim - at least for now.
The Stamford Advocate reports that Irving Pinsky is reviewing new evidence on the security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and will decide what "route to take" after completing his evaluation.
The attorney last week asked to sue the state, saying his client suffered "emotional and psychological trauma and injury" during the shooting rampage that killed 20 children and six adults.
He says state officials failed to prevent his client from "foreseeable harm".
"The State Board of Education, Connecticut Department of Education and State Commissioner of Education failed ... to provide a safe school setting at Sandy Hook Elementary School," the claim reads.
"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the lawsuit goes on.
The state attorney general said on Monday there appears to be no basis to support the suit or the state's liability.
Meanwhile, the students who survived the shooting are expected back in the classroom on Thursday in the nearby town of Monroe.
Desks have been taken to the new building along with backpacks and other belongings left behind in the chaos following the December 14 shooting.