Speaking at the White House, President Barack Obama said no decision had been made on how to respond. But he said the attack that the U.S. is alleging took place on Aug. 21 must not go unanswered, even as he sought to assure Americans that the U.S. would not be drawn into a long conflict.
“It’s important for us to recognize that when over a thousand people are killed, including hundreds of innocent children, through the use of a weapon that 98 or 99 percent of humanity says should not be used even in war, and there is no action, then we’re sending a signal,” Obama told reporters before meeting leaders of the Baltic countries on Friday afternoon.
Earlier in the day, Secretary of State John Kerry didn't say when or if the U.S. would strike Syrian targets in retaliation for the attack on areas controlled by the Syrian opposition. But his statement strongly suggested that the U.S. is planning military action.
“We know where the rockets were launched from, and at what time,” Kerry said, highlighting findings of a U.S. intelligence report later released by the White House. Read the report.
“We’re not considering any open-ended commitment,” Obama said. U.S. troops would not be involved, he stressed. [link to www.marketwatch.com]