REASONS THAT TONGUES CEASED IN THE FIRST CENTURY.
1. Tongues were a sign of judgment against Jewish unbelief as a nation.
2. There are 3 major outbreaks of miracles in Scripture
3. Tongues belonged to the infant days of the church.
4. Tongues authenticated the apostles' message as from God.
5. Hebrews 6:5 shows that the only other age of miracles will be the Millenium described as "the powers of the age to come".
6. Hebrews 2:3,4 shows miracles (such as tongues) to be in the past tense, and not continuosly being experienced by the Hebrew Christians of 64 AD.
7. This is also seen in Acts 11:15, where Peter describes tongues at Cornelius household, not as a regular occurrence weekly in every church, but only somethiing that happened last time at Pentecost (Acts 2) "as on us at the beginning".
8. Mark 16:11-20 (especially v.17) shows that the signs that were to follow them that believe related to a brief period, not longer than that covered by the book of Acts, and described in that way in v.19,20.
[link to solascriptura-tt.org