United States Patent 4712155
A method and apparatus altering a region of plasma that lies above the earth's surface at altitudes (e.g. below 50 kilometer) where the collison rate of the electrons in the plasma is originally greater than the cyclotron frequency of the electrons. First, artificial magnetic lines of force are established from the earth's surface by positioning a loop of cable at the earth's surface. An electrical current of sufficient amperage is passed through the cable which inherently generates the artificial magnetic field from the center of the loop. The field strength B on the artificial lines in the region of plasma to be altered is sufficient to increase the cyclotron frequency of the electrons in the plasma so that it will exceed the rate of collosion of the electrons. The plasma is then excited by electron cyclotron resonance heating to thereby further alter the plasma by transmitting circularly polarized electromagnetic radiation upward in a direction substantially parallel to and along the artificial field lines.
[link to www.freepatentsonline.com
US Patent References:
Method and apparatus for communicating through a region of ionized gas
Molmud - May, 1964 - 3133250
Self-focusing antenna system
Sferrazza et al. - March, 1965 - 3174150
Space station and system for operating same
Schiff et al. - May, 1967 - 3174705
Reentry communication by material addition
Nelson - October, 1966 - 3277375
Means for communicating through a layer of ionized gases
Seaton - January, 1967 - 3300721
What is claimed is:
1. A method of creating an artificial electron cyclotron resonance heating region of plasma at about 50 km above the earth's surface in which the collision rate of the electrons in said plasma is greater than the cyclotron frequency of said electrons, said method comprising:
establishing a first artificial magnetic field having a plurality of artificial field lines which extend from the surface of the earth through said region of plasma by
positioning a circular loop of an electrical conductive cable at the surface of the earth so that the center of said loop will be colinear with the said artificial magnetic field lines;
passing an electric current through said loop to establish said artificial magnetic field having a magnetic field strength of about 10 fold greater than the field strength naturally occurring in said region; and
transmitting first circularly polarized electromagnetic radiation having a frequency from 10 kilohertz to 30 gigahertz from the earth's surface, said transmitting being conducted essentially at the outset of transmission substantially parallel to and along said field lines of said artificial magnetic field, adjusting the frequency of said first radiation to a value which will excite electron cyclotron resonance at an initial altitude of about 50 km above the earth's surface, whereby in the region in which said electron cyclotron resonance takes place heating, further ionization, and movement of both charged and neutral particles is effected.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said excitation of electron cyclotron resonance is continued to cause movement of said plasma region along said artificial magnetic field lines upward to an altitude which is higher than the altitude at which said excitation was initiated.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein said rising plasma region pulls with it a substantial portion of neutral particles of the atmosphere which exist in or near said plasma region.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein there is provided at least one separate source of second electromagnetic radiation, said second radiation having at least one frequency different from said first radiation, impinging said at least one second radiation on said plasma region while said plasma region is undergoing electron cyclotron resonance excitation caused by said first radiation.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein said second radiation has a frequency which is absorbed by said plasma region.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein said first electromagnetic radiation is right hand circularly polarized in the northern hemisphere and left hand circularly polarized in the southern hemisphere.
7. The method of claim 4 wherein said loop is positioned at an angle with respect to the normal horizontal plane at the earth's surface whereby said artificial magnetic force lines will extend outwardly from the earth's surface at an angle with respect to a normally occurring earth's magnetic field line.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the radius of said loop is approximately equal to the altitude of said region.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein said region is at an altitude of about 35 kilometers.
10. The method of claim 9 wherein said cable comprises a 1 meter diameter, superconductive cable positioned in a circular loop which, in turn, has a radius of 35 kilometers and wherein said amperage is substantially about 5×108 amperes.
11. The method of claim 5 including:
establishing a second artificial field at a point on the earth's surface at a point spaced from said first artificial magnetic field;
establishing a second plasma region along the artificial field lines of said second artificial magnetic field at an altitude substantially the same as the altitude of said plasma region of said first magnetic field;
and propogating said plasma waves between said first and second plasma regions.
1. Technical Field
This invention relates to a method and apparatus for creating an artificial electric cyclotron resonance heating region of plasma and more particularly relates to creating artificial magnetic field lines from the earth's surface and then altering at least one region of plasma normally existing along said artificial lines at a selected altitude above the earth's surface.
How do these experiments and manipulations affect the earth and even their experiments at CERN???