User ID: 1519326
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 06:35 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Hurricane Irene Looks 'Terrifying' From Space, NASA Astronaut Says
If were in the path of this moster I'd praying real hard. Good luck people,

[link to news.yahoo.com]
..Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the U.S. East Coast and has turned into a frightening storm, according to an astronaut on the International Space Station.

NASA astronaut Mike Fossum said that Hurricane Irene, like all hurricanes, looks "terrifying from above," and its evolution into a major storm this week has been unmistakable from orbit.

"We saw a big change in the structure of the storm over the several days that we've watched her, especially yesterday," Fossum told SPACE.com today (Aug. 25) during a video interview from space.

Hurricane Irene is currently a Category 3 storm with winds of 115 mph (185 kph) that is battering the Bahamas. Space station astronauts and satellites have kept a constant watch on the growing storm. [Photos: Hurricane Irene Views From Space]

The storm is expected to hit the North Carolina coast on Saturday (Aug. 27) and follow the coastline north, where it may make landfall on Long Island, posing a threat to New York City, according to OurAmazingPlanet, a sister site of SPACE.com.

Fossum, a native of Texas who has seen many hurricanes from the ground and space, said that two days ago the eye of Hurricane Irene wasn't as stable as it appears now. The storm has grown more organized and uniform as this week wore on, he added.

more at link

Last Edited by SPUD on 08/25/2011 08:05 PM
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Hurricane Irene Looks 'Terrifying' From Space, NASA Astronaut Says
There is alink to photos in the main article, this thing is a monster and growing.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1111431
Spain
08/25/2011 06:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
If I lived anywhere above north carolina I would kill myself right now. seriously.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1152154
United States
08/25/2011 06:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
What a load of Doom hype.

pennywise
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1487895
United States
08/25/2011 06:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is a video of Irene from the space station with astronauts commenting on it. They are worried

Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 06:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
What a load of Doom hype.

pennywise
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1152154

Normally I'd be agreeing with you but having had a hard look at the FACTS seems to show this is big mama.
Survival Sun

User ID: 1486374
United States
08/25/2011 06:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
Holy shit!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1492727
United States
08/25/2011 06:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
Here is a video of Irene from the space station with astronauts commenting on it. They are worried

Quoting: heartmindspirit

UFO at 0:46 o.o right next to the eye
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 06:51 PM
Report Abusive Post
Holy shit!
 Quoting: Survival Sun

1dpanic
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/25/2011 06:53 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1492727

Wow, YOU are RIGHT! Weird behavior to, looks like NAZA were quick to loop an edited video, look at the wing of the space station starting at 43seconds in
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1520256
United States
08/25/2011 06:55 PM
Report Abusive Post
I really feel like this hurricane could do a lot of damage. Certainly not because of its size, but because of the size of the hpye coming from NASA, weather.com, and others. They're trying to create a fear above what one should feel in this situation.

A healthy fear is good when dealing with hurricanes. I've lived on the Gulf Coast around Houston all my life, and I've been in many, many hurricanes of different catagories. We've started over more than once because of them, but I've never seen a storm create this much hoopla in TPTB. They act like it's a catagory 5 or something.

The reason I feel like it could do a lot of damage is because as much as they're pushing the fear button, I feel like they've got some cool destruction planned. Just like Katrina. It wouldn't have done anything at all if they had not blown the levies.

I wonder what they're going to do to create a panic in NYC. Just sayin'.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1503933
United States
08/25/2011 06:55 PM
Report Abusive Post

holy shit good find, look how the tape is edited too after that
Athena Awakened

User ID: 1312743
United States
08/25/2011 07:00 PM
Report Abusive Post
That looks ginormous!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” Samuel Adams, 1776
tinygreen

User ID: 427545
United States
08/25/2011 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
a slightly longer version of the first video...

'it is not the duty of the police to protect you. their job is to protect THE CORPORATION and arrest code breakers.'

(sapp vs tallahassee)
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/25/2011 07:01 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP OP!! Edit the post to include the Space Station Video, and point out the UFO at 45 secs!!
alpha>me<omega

User ID: 1015009
United States
08/25/2011 07:03 PM
Report Abusive Post
I really feel like this hurricane could do a lot of damage. Certainly not because of its size, but because of the size of the hpye coming from NASA, weather.com, and others. They're trying to create a fear above what one should feel in this situation.

A healthy fear is good when dealing with hurricanes. I've lived on the Gulf Coast around Houston all my life, and I've been in many, many hurricanes of different catagories. We've started over more than once because of them, but I've never seen a storm create this much hoopla in TPTB. They act like it's a catagory 5 or something.

The reason I feel like it could do a lot of damage is because as much as they're pushing the fear button, I feel like they've got some cool destruction planned. Just like Katrina. It wouldn't have done anything at all if they had not blown the levies.

Quoting: docsls

you gotta scare the living pants off people, otherwise you warn them and they just sit around with an attitude of "wont happen to me"
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1515230
United States
Report Abusive Post
zzzz

you know whats terrifying... you can't see ppl from the ISS!!!!!

blink
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1507156
United States
Report Abusive Post
Hmmm, perhaps a ramping up of our collective unconsciousness? Nothing like fear to keep TPTB in power over us. Lets see what happens when we concentrate on this becoming a big old nothing. Something smells totally rotten in the speed, and intensity of the fear mongering of this storm. I trust those in power not at all. I think it's time we outthink this shit.
Gunnz, lots of Gunnz

User ID: 1520647
Australia
08/25/2011 07:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
If I lived anywhere above north carolina I would kill myself right now. seriously.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1111431

Still won't stop the hurricane

lmao
Corp/o/Ration
A Single Entity (group with the same paragon) Restricting consumption of scarce commodities.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 07:04 PM
Report Abusive Post
OP OP!! Edit the post to include the Space Station Video, and point out the UFO at 45 secs!!

I'm sorry pal, I don't have the ability to do that, looks like I'll have to pay up and upgrade.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1520256
United States
08/25/2011 07:05 PM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: docsls

you gotta scare the living pants off people, otherwise you warn them and they just sit around with an attitude of "wont happen to me"
 Quoting: alpha>me<omega

I agree, especially those areas that are unfamiliar and unprepared. But, I'm talking about something ominous. Something sinister. It's just a feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if this hurricane isn't a really big false flag.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1503589
United States
08/25/2011 07:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to news.yahoo.com]

..Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the U.S. East Coast and has turned into a frightening storm, according to an astronaut on the International Space Station.

NASA astronaut Mike Fossum said that Hurricane Irene, like all hurricanes, looks "terrifying from above," and its evolution into a major storm this week has been unmistakable from orbit.

"We saw a big change in the structure of the storm over the several days that we've watched her, especially yesterday," Fossum told SPACE.com today (Aug. 25) during a video interview from space.

Hurricane Irene is currently a Category 3 storm with winds of 115 mph (185 kph) that is battering the Bahamas. Space station astronauts and satellites have kept a constant watch on the growing storm. [Photos: Hurricane Irene Views From Space]

The storm is expected to hit the North Carolina coast on Saturday (Aug. 27) and follow the coastline north, where it may make landfall on Long Island, posing a threat to New York City, according to OurAmazingPlanet, a sister site of SPACE.com.

Fossum, a native of Texas who has seen many hurricanes from the ground and space, said that two days ago the eye of Hurricane Irene wasn't as stable as it appears now. The storm has grown more organized and uniform as this week wore on, he added.

"There's kind of a dome shape to the whole thing, with the eye fully formed," Fossum said. "Yesterday you could see the eye wall and down into the eye itself. You know that is a powerful storm, and those are never good news when they're headed your way. So our prayers and thoughts are with the people in its path."

Fossum is one of six astronauts living aboard the International Space Station and is in the middle of a six-month spaceflight. His crewmate Ron Garan, also of NASA, has been posting photos of Irene from orbit each day as the space station has been flying over the huge storm.

NASA is also broadcasting live views of Hurricane Irene from the space station when the orbiting lab sails over the storm.

You can follow SPACE.com Managing Editor Tariq Malik on Twitter @tariqjmalik. Follow SPACE.com for the latest in space science and exploration news on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook.

•History of Destruction: 8 Great Hurricanes
•Hurricane Irene - Space Station Crew Talks with SPACE.com
•In the Eye of the Storm: NASA's Hurricane Hunters
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1519326

She's a beauty.
Keep in mind, though, that size is not the same as power. A smaller one could pack higher winds. So ... the fact that this is "huge" doesn't automatically mean it's dangerous.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/25/2011 07:06 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'm sorry pal, I don't have the ability to do that, looks like I'll have to pay up and upgrade.

False, you just have to SIGN up and you will be able to edit your posts, no $ required to register, which is a good idea if you frequent the site.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/25/2011 07:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks Green! Watch the extended version, the lady commenter in the beginning says she cant believe how big it is, "amazing".
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/25/2011 07:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thanks Green! Watch the extended version, the lady commenter in the beginning says she cant believe how big it is, "amazing".

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1520267
United States
08/25/2011 07:10 PM
Report Abusive Post
I wonder if they are lying about its catagory status. What if it's really a catagory 5?
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United Kingdom
Report Abusive Post

False, you just have to SIGN up and you will be able to edit your posts, no $ required to register, which is a good idea if you frequent the site.

I stand corrected. I just need to get off my lazy ass and just sign up. On my way now. Thanks
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1232806
United States
Report Abusive Post

[link to news.yahoo.com]

Can't wait to see the newscaster idiots out there in the middle of it.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1435371
United States
Report Abusive Post
Im on the outer banks of NC its nothing to afaid of.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 1393927
United States
08/25/2011 07:11 PM
Report Abusive Post

holy shit good find, look how the tape is edited too after that
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1503933

Dude, that is spacedust or something. There are black dots all over the camera lens. fAIL.
LIGHT UPON LIGHT (OP)
United Kingdom
08/25/2011 07:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

[link to news.yahoo.com]

Can't wait to see the newscaster idiots out there in the middle of it.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 1232806

blackpower

GLP