Godlike Productions - Discussion Forum
Users Online Now: 1,319 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,268,133
Pageviews Today: 2,220,601Threads Today: 827Posts Today: 16,662
11:52 PM

Rate this Thread

Absolute BS Crap Reasonable Nice Amazing

Respond to this thread if you earn less than $60,000 a year and are surviving... I am doing a little experiment here to prove a point.

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 60898812
United States
09/25/2017 10:25 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Respond to this thread if you earn less than $60,000 a year and are surviving... I am doing a little experiment here to prove a point.
I get $735 a month disability. I own a brick house, have a fairly new car, eat well and I'm even on vacation at the beach. My bills are paid. I make wooden bowls and sell a couple a month for a little spending money. My wife doesn't have to work so I guess I can say I'm doing fine.
Taz

User ID: 75283807
United States
09/25/2017 10:27 PM
Report Abusive Post
Re: Respond to this thread if you earn less than $60,000 a year and are surviving... I am doing a little experiment here to prove a point.
Pfft. BEFORE child support
BRYinTX

User ID: 61595971
United States
Report Abusive Post
Self employed. My business takes in about $90k, I pay myself $48k a year.

Side question: If I ever close down the business at any point in the future, I assume they tax on what is being transferred from my business to personal acc?
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 75467562

get a good accountant and you might be able to use asset depreciation and capitol loss spread out over a few years to offset the net value of your business enough to pay little to no tax on what's left. sorry for the run-on.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75387959
United States
Report Abusive Post
Single guy, 72, retired north Florida. Living well on a bit less than $27,000. Still paying on my home, I eat sensibly but I don't shop Whole Foods type stores or buy into the "gotta have organic" fad. Paid for, well maintained car. Happy and healthy.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 70434452

Every dollar spent is smart.

Well done.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 74989921
United States
09/25/2017 10:28 PM
Report Abusive Post
We retired, and take a small amount out per month from a very small 401k,as well as social security. Living well below $30,000 a year, making a house payment, utilities etc. Paid off all the credit cards beforehand, and living very well. Can spend a little extra for eating out, and other treats. Loving life and time spent together. Doing very well in the Midwest, rural/small town life. Own 2 cars (paid off), and a camper. Life is good.
Anonymous Coward (OP)
User ID: 13127957
United States
Report Abusive Post
Strange how people earning over $250,000 a year have trouble "Surving" and complain they aren't earning enough while we people earning less than $60,000 a year do just fine or break even...
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75452281
Canada
Report Abusive Post
Hell, I am going to go out on a limb here and tell you all my expenses:

Electricity - 400.00 a month.

Car Insurance (3 vehicles full coverage) 350.00 a month.

Food Costs $ 300.00 a month.

House payment $ 450.00 a month.

House Insurance $160.00 a Month.

Medical Expenses $200.00 a month.

Car Payments $400.00 a month for 2 vehicles

Misc expenses $200.00 a month.

Medical Insurance $200.00 a month family coverage.

It takes every single penny me and my wife earn paying those expenses, and I we are living paycheck to paycheck. My wife earns maybe 1/2th of my income.

I didn't include other expenses such as clothing expences, cellphones, etc.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 13127957

what's the retirement plan?
look OP - I get it, between taxes, insurance, fees, licenses and all kinds of other crap, the government WANTS you just to break even. And then you die.
Obamacare is about killing off those who no longer contribute to the coffers of the government. THIS is what government controlled health care is all about. THEY don't want you living past 60. You are a net drain on society. So work hard, just get by, pay the government the lions share of your income and then die.
That is the lot for the majority of people today. And it will just get worse. Cancer is a type of "programed obsolesence" for the masses.
But why are you begrudging those who have managed to break free of the rat race?
It's not greedy to want to put away for your retirement or provide a little nest egg for your kids or make sure that you have enough squirreled away for your golden years.
That's not greed, that's just smart.
But at $65k/year if you control your expenses that you can control, you should be doing alright.
Bloodreddeuce

User ID: 62946601
United States
Report Abusive Post
21K a year here
DrPuffenstein
User ID: 74860802
United States
09/25/2017 10:29 PM
Report Abusive Post
Surviving pretty well but that is because I own my house.
BRYinTX

User ID: 61595971
United States
09/25/2017 10:30 PM
Report Abusive Post

It takes every single penny me and my wife earn paying those expenses, and I we are living paycheck to paycheck. My wife earns maybe 1/2th of my income.

I'll play

Electricity - 252.00 a month.

Car Insurance (3 vehicles full coverage) 300.00 a month.

Food Costs $ 800.00 a month.

House payment $ 1500.00 a month.

House Insurance $ incl. w/payment

Medical Expenses $100.00 a month.

Car Payments $300.00 a month for 2 vehicles

Misc expenses $400.00 a month.

Medical Insurance $ no cost for me
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
09/25/2017 10:33 PM
Report Abusive Post

what's the retirement plan?
look OP - I get it, between taxes, insurance, fees, licenses and all kinds of other crap, the government WANTS you just to break even. And then you die.
Obamacare is about killing off those who no longer contribute to the coffers of the government. THIS is what government controlled health care is all about. THEY don't want you living past 60. You are a net drain on society. So work hard, just get by, pay the government the lions share of your income and then die.
That is the lot for the majority of people today. And it will just get worse. Cancer is a type of "programed obsolesence" for the masses.
But why are you begrudging those who have managed to break free of the rat race?
It's not greedy to want to put away for your retirement or provide a little nest egg for your kids or make sure that you have enough squirreled away for your golden years.
That's not greed, that's just smart.
But at $65k/year if you control your expenses that you can control, you should be doing alright.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 75452281

I am NOT putting people down that have saved a nest egg for retirement, I am talking about people that earn excessive incomes of over $250-500K or more, if we, the majority of people are surving on less than 60-70K a year, then so can the rich earning 150-250K or more.
Not in it for the gold
User ID: 3666392
United States
Report Abusive Post
Divide that by 3 2 support
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75340411
United States
Report Abusive Post
I can live well on $1000.00 a month, other than dental expenses. I figure that $20K after taxes is a good comfortable figure for an individual or a couple. The only extra expense for a girlfriend would be food and contraceptives.
NotStarvingActress

User ID: 75450407
United States
09/25/2017 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
I just cannot comprehend someone earning 200,000+ a year and cannot survive on that.

I know people like that you are always crying broke. Tell them to give up their expensive vacations, golf & skiing, country club memberships, private schools and tutors for their kids starting at nursery school, expensive sleep-a-way camps, designer clothes for all, etc, etc, etc.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75542007
United States
09/25/2017 10:36 PM
Report Abusive Post
You can survive on almost anything, as long as you understand the difference between want and need. If you do, there's always a little bit lefter over for stuff you want.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 71124074

I went to town today for my grandsons birthday. The old guy remembered me when I stopped at the fruit stand and gave me half a dozen full big boxes of free over ripe and a little bruised fruit for canning and the chickens. about 30 canning quarts and free chicken / worm farm /compost . I did buy one box of perfect best red peaches you ever tried
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/25/2017 10:37 PM
Report Abusive Post
35,000 a year roughly, three kids, married, $800/month in rent. I'm surviving and paying the bills, and manage to splurge on the kids once in awhile. Ita a lot of work and budgeting but I'm happy, that's what matters.
 Quoting: *<3sugar&spice<3*

You used one keyword most don't do - budgeting. If you don't have a simple budget no matter how much you take home you will always be behind. A budget can help pay off debt and create savings, you just have to focus and not spend dumbly.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 75060731

My wife and I kept a budget and filled out a book for over a decade.

We also observed a rule that we talked about what we really needed before we bought or didn't by.

We now order from amazon a couple times a week and are a long way from being responsible but we can do that now because we weren't greedy early.

I see a couple down the block with a new baby and she wanted the siding and fence done now. Grandparents helped out but man, don't be greedy.
Peepaws

User ID: 74950731
United States
09/25/2017 10:37 PM

Report Abusive Post
I do just fine on that amount. I can't buy everything I want at the grocery store anymore, but I can still eat healthy.
Peepaws
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 70661134
United States
09/25/2017 10:39 PM
Report Abusive Post
A little less than 60,000. No credit cards, no loans, pay cash for everything, only buy what we need not what we want. Now the bottom has dropped out and are paying $900 a month for health insurance. Thank you Obama!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75452281
Canada
09/25/2017 10:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
people can survive on eating rice and drinking water.
So therefore anyone who does more than this is greedy, by the same standards.

Sorry OP.
Yes, people can live on less than $65k per year and lots do. But I still don't get your point. So what?
If I want to eat a steak instead of rice, what's it to you?

This is the kind of thinking that TPTB use to push the living wage crap.
I know eventually it will end up there. Cashless society first, then everyone gets fake digital 'money' in their accounts that only exist in a digital world. And then the government tells you where to live, what to eat, how to get your butt to your job that the government told you to do.

Virtual slavery.
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/25/2017 10:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
All inclusive vacations vs camping.

Older well maintained car vs new car every three years or sooner.

Getting an extra fridge for a family of four and shopping ahead.

THAT BUDGET
MaybeTrollingU

User ID: 75543933
Brazil
09/25/2017 10:42 PM
Report Abusive Post
LOL!!!! I make a little more than 10k/year, tops!!
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 73529291
United States
09/25/2017 10:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
Waaay less than $60,000 a year...and I'm surviving quite well, thank you.

hf
 Quoting: cosmicgypsy

Same here and I'm more than surviving, I'm thriving!

The trick is to embrace minimalism and be full of gratitude.

hf
 Quoting: Rev Woo-Woo

THIS!! hf
Anonymous Coward (OP)
United States
Report Abusive Post
people can survive on eating rice and drinking water.
So therefore anyone who does more than this is greedy, by the same standards.

Sorry OP.
Yes, people can live on less than $65k per year and lots do. But I still don't get your point. So what?
If I want to eat a steak instead of rice, what's it to you?

This is the kind of thinking that TPTB use to push the living wage crap.
I know eventually it will end up there. Cashless society first, then everyone gets fake digital 'money' in their accounts that only exist in a digital world. And then the government tells you where to live, what to eat, how to get your butt to your job that the government told you to do.

Virtual slavery.
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 75452281

Well, I look at it this way... If I can survive on 60-70K a year with a family of FIVE, the ultra rich earning over 200K a year should logically be able to survive on over 200K a year which is 4-5 TIMES my yearly income!
Rev Woo-Woo

User ID: 74524491
United States

Report Abusive Post

I'll play

Quoting: BRYinTX

Electricity - 0 (family property and we each take responsibility of a different utility bill)

Car insurance - 0 (no car)

Food costs - $600

House payment - 0

House insurance - 0

Medical expenses - 0

Car payment - 0

Medical insurance - 0

Water bill - $50

Cable/internet - $130.00

Prepay phone - $25 every 3 months
“If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace.”
Thich Nhat Hanh, Being Peace

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you." - Job 12:7,8

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

revstargazer (at) hotmail.com
Anonymous Coward
United States
09/25/2017 10:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
We are heavy supporters of credit cards.
I have my main one memorized.

2% cash back most expenses.

3% for dinner purchases.

========

The gut that modeled our kitchen 4 years ago told me that he runs all his business materials purchases through his 2% card.

He gets two Hawaii vacations a year.

IF YOU HAVE THE DISCIPLINE GO WITH CC.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 75542007
United States
09/25/2017 10:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Pfft. BEFORE child support
 Quoting: Taz

as an old widowed grandma, Fist thing I teach my grandsons at a young age............ all the money they make that will go to support a child they may never see and all the grandkids they may never see that go with not wearing a rubber and the cost of disease they may never recover from.
I
At an early age, this is a condom. You can have all you want any time you want. All men carry one in the wallet. Here is you new wallet. I will always have as many as you need.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 74893300
United States
09/25/2017 10:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
If you earn less than $60,000 a year, respond to this thread, I just want to prove that most people are living on less than this amount per year to survive...

I make about 60 thousand a year pay child support, 1200 a month. My kids are happy ,I'm happy we are all healthy .knock on wood...... can't complain.if it was between wealth or health what would you pick........enjoy life .
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 66427493
United States
09/25/2017 10:47 PM
Report Abusive Post
I earn GROSS before taxes about $56,000 a year, and I am SURVIVING living paycheck to paycheck.

Now think about all of the things you really don't need "the best of the best" of, or can cut out. Have car payments? Top notch net? All cable channels etc? Man I know I could cut back a lot and need to. : /
Citizen1111

User ID: 75430215
Canada
09/25/2017 10:48 PM
Report Abusive Post
9-12K/week for the past 5+ years, single, never married, no kids...

wups, I thought this was POF...LOL!
Grow Your Own
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 58642651
United States
09/25/2017 10:49 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'll play

Quoting: BRYinTX

Which company do you get your car insurance from? I pay about $200 for full coverage on a 2002 and only liability for a 2012.

GLP