Pooka  (OP)

User ID: 77665716
United States
05/27/2019 02:17 AM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Re: Practical Prepping Protocol even if Poor
[link to www.theorganicprepper.com (secure)]

The Shocking Reality of SHTF Medicine and How to Prep for When the Medical System is GONE

This article is by Selco, a man who lived through war recently in his home town, and lived to write many articles educating the rest of us about what SHTF is really like.
Prayer is the most powerful force on earth.

“I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.” Abraham Lincoln

I sign all karma given. Would that those giving it to me followed suit.
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/27/2019 08:05 PM
Report Abusive Post
Thread: Buckle Up, Folks: Crop-tastrophe In The Midwest – Latest USDA Progress Report Signals Nightmare Scenario

“I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.” Abraham Lincoln

Mkjeep

User ID: 77436472
United States
05/28/2019 08:59 AM

Report Abusive Post
Edit

Last Edited by MKChicknDad on 05/28/2019 09:02 AM
"Be like water my friend”- Bruce Lee
Mkjeep

United States
05/28/2019 09:01 AM

Report Abusive Post
Something may have already been posted on here about this , but I’ll post it anyway. It would be a good idea to store extra rat poison and some insecticides. If you have power loses and such for extended periods of time , there will be tons of rotting food, drawing flies , rats etc. They will hunt out food and warmth. Just thought I’d add this. Also in flood areas rats along with other vermin will seek higher ground, ants,roaches and spiders aswell.
 Quoting: Mkjeep

Mkjeep

United States
05/28/2019 09:05 AM

Report Abusive Post
Something may have already been posted on here about this , but I’ll post it anyway. It would be a good idea to store extra rat poison and some insecticides. If you have power loses and such for extended periods of time , there will be tons of rotting food, drawing flies , rats etc. They will hunt out food and warmth. Just thought I’d add this. Also in flood areas rats along with other vermin will seek higher ground, ants,roaches and spiders aswell.

Just to add to this, last year a person I know that lived next to the river had river rise and get close to their house. Next day House didn’t get water but was over run with spiderpocalypse.
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/28/2019 02:04 PM
Report Abusive Post

No, I do not believe this has been posted, MKJ, and you are wise to do so - thank you so much! This is a great idea - for rodents, ants, whatever the invasive species might be expected around a specific area - this is great advice!

Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/28/2019 02:06 PM
Report Abusive Post
Just to add to this, last year a person I know that lived next to the river had river rise and get close to their house. Next day House didn’t get water but was over run with spiderpocalypse.

Oh gross!!! And could be dangerous - here we have brown reclusive spiders that cause a flesh-eating disaster, and black widows as well.

Good advice to have on hand something for spiders as well as other insects and the rodents, too.

If garbage has to be stored for some time, or even human waste, these will be attractive to things we don't want to attract.

MKJeep - thank you! You may have saved people a deal of trouble!

Last Edited by Pooka on 05/28/2019 02:36 PM

Mkjeep

User ID: 24338353
United States
05/28/2019 05:57 PM

Report Abusive Post

Oh gross!!! And could be dangerous - here we have brown reclusive spiders that cause a flesh-eating disaster, and black widows as well.

Good advice to have on hand something for spiders as well as other insects and the rodents, too.

If garbage has to be stored for some time, or even human waste, these will be attractive to things we don't want to attract.

MKJeep - thank you! You may have saved people a deal of trouble!
 Quoting: Pooka

I’ve been bitten twice by recluses, I know the repercussions. One bite ate all the skin off my index finger knuckle joint before I went to the Er and got antibiotics. The other I caught quicker cause I realized what it was that bit me.
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/28/2019 06:17 PM
Report Abusive Post
I’ve been bitten twice by recluses, I know the repercussions. One bite ate all the skin off my index finger knuckle joint before I went to the Er and got antibiotics. The other I caught quicker cause I realized what it was that bit me.

First and only brown recluse bite I've seen was on a woman's breast. She had been carrying wood, where they like to hang out. She didn't go immediately to the doctor, and it was a huge, huge wound. When she finally went, she had to go every day for antibiotic injections and repacking.

The other one I didn't see, but was on a woman's thigh, described, and she let it go long enough to also be going to the doctor daily - same doctor as first one - for injections and repacking.

Spider bites can be a very serious business, so I thank you again for reminding us to purchase protections from insects, spiders, and rodents. Might well become very important.

Last Edited by Pooka on 05/28/2019 07:43 PM

Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 01:13 AM
Report Abusive Post
MKJ, nobody from that thread checked in. :( Of course we can hope a few started with the first page . . .

Thing of it is - these people who will not see to themselves today will expect us to see to them tomorrow, or they will expect to take from us what we wisely spent this time collecting.

That person I mentioned that had the camp stove and fuel but no food to cook on it - that blew me away. He and his family LIVE IN TORNADO ALLEY!!!!! They know to expect this to happen! I guess to be grateful they at least had a camp stove but no food to use it for? Maybe he was only thinking "camping" and it didn't dawn on him he could cook ordinary food on it. Maybe he thought of baked beans and hot dogs or something.

Nevertheless, they live where they can expect this kind of weather, great storms, power outages, and had never thought about what they would eat if the power went out. Just blows me away.

I used to ahve a wood stove so I knew how I would cook and heat water, and I always kept water put away, a few gallons, because we had a well and when the power is out, the water is off. Just common sense thinking - but the fellow I'm talking about is the kind that really scares me, because when his children and wife get hungry - here he comes! Multiply that by the thousands!

Of course it scares me more than it will you, because I am alone with three doors and a big window to protect. Still - just think - makes me shake my head about people.

Mkjeep

United States
05/29/2019 07:44 AM

Report Abusive Post
MKJ, nobody from that thread checked in. :( Of course we can hope a few started with the first page . . .

Thing of it is - these people who will not see to themselves today will expect us to see to them tomorrow, or they will expect to take from us what we wisely spent this time collecting.

That person I mentioned that had the camp stove and fuel but no food to cook on it - that blew me away. He and his family LIVE IN TORNADO ALLEY!!!!! They know to expect this to happen! I guess to be grateful they at least had a camp stove but no food to use it for? Maybe he was only thinking "camping" and it didn't dawn on him he could cook ordinary food on it. Maybe he thought of baked beans and hot dogs or something.

Nevertheless, they live where they can expect this kind of weather, great storms, power outages, and had never thought about what they would eat if the power went out. Just blows me away.

I used to ahve a wood stove so I knew how I would cook and heat water, and I always kept water put away, a few gallons, because we had a well and when the power is out, the water is off. Just common sense thinking - but the fellow I'm talking about is the kind that really scares me, because when his children and wife get hungry - here he comes! Multiply that by the thousands!

Of course it scares me more than it will you, because I am alone with three doors and a big window to protect. Still - just think - makes me shake my head about people.

Yeah, people don’t think ahead, such is the mass disallusionment that most fall under. Do you have protection of any means? Gun? If uncomfortable with firearms at least get a taser and or pepper spray.
Mkjeep

United States
05/29/2019 07:55 AM

Report Abusive Post

KTee

User ID: 77587958
United States
05/29/2019 08:39 AM
Report Abusive Post

Yeah, people don’t think ahead, such is the mass disallusionment that most fall under. Do you have protection of any means? Gun? If uncomfortable with firearms at least get a taser and or pepper spray.

If uncomfortable with guns.. get a super soaker and fill it with the caustic of your choice. As long as it's plastic friendly of course.

hf
Act, and you shall have dinner; wait, and you shall BE dinner.
-Gowron, Klingon proverb, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 04:37 PM
Report Abusive Post

Love the strike plate lock - I am going to order one! Thank you very much, MKJ!

Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 04:38 PM
Report Abusive Post

If uncomfortable with guns.. get a super soaker and fill it with the caustic of your choice. As long as it's plastic friendly of course.

hf
 Quoting: KTee

No worries - I have some "things", bear spray among them! You never know when a bear might come along, hungry!

Mkjeep

User ID: 24338353
United States
05/29/2019 04:57 PM

Report Abusive Post

hf

No worries - I have some "things", bear spray among them! You never know when a bear might come along, hungry!

Wasp spray to the face and eyes works good too. Plus it kills wasps and ants.
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 05:22 PM
Report Abusive Post

Actually, I think I have some of that here as well! If not, can acquire.

Love all the suggestions from people! Hope you all are taking your own advice, as well. Can't be too careful when zombies are about!

KTee

User ID: 77587958
United States
05/29/2019 05:39 PM
Report Abusive Post

Love all the suggestions from people! Hope you all are taking your own advice, as well. Can't be too careful when zombies are about!

LOL - had some wasp spray!~
Had to actually use it on wasps.
*Noted* to get more.

banana2
Act, and you shall have dinner; wait, and you shall BE dinner.
-Gowron, Klingon proverb, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Lowkey Cyberpunk

User ID: 77651189
United States
05/29/2019 05:43 PM
Report Abusive Post
Some here will recall my excitement the day I found a very old copper-bottomed tea kettle for almost nothing.

Last evening my microwave quit - a very bad thing considering the meals which are delivered all have to be heated thusly, and that's how I make tea water daily, as well.

So today after coffee I fetched out the new old tea kettle and can tell you it warmed the water very quickly on the electric stove and is almost comforting to have tea made that way! So happy I found and purchased it, way back before I knew the microwave would burst its bubble on a holiday weekend!

My coffee percolator is one of the old models that you set on any form of heat to brew. It won't save my life but it very well might save someone else... from a caffeine deprived me.

Back in my off-grid childhood we would use aluminum wash basins to heat water for washing - dishes, clothes, ourselves. You could boil gallons at a time over a wood (gas, electric) stove or an open fire. Don't use galvanized steel!
"Yes, yes. Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But, at least there is symmetry."
Mkjeep

User ID: 77688947
United States
05/29/2019 05:59 PM

Report Abusive Post

LOL - had some wasp spray!~
Had to actually use it on wasps.
*Noted* to get more.

banana2

I get those 3pks from Sam'sClub, extra big can's. I have alotta wasps around in summertime. But when you get multi packs you can put them all over in case you run into wasps OR other things, lol.
Lowkey Cyberpunk

United States
05/29/2019 06:09 PM
Report Abusive Post
I get those 3pks from Sam'sClub, extra big can's. I have alotta wasps around in summertime. But when you get multi packs you can put them all over in case you run into wasps OR other things, lol.

Wasps are okay, I've let them crawl around on my hand and they just fly off. Bald faced hornets on the other hand are mean tempered and will go out of their way to hunt you down and sting you. I still wouldn't get rid of a nest on my property, they eat flies.

If you have a yellow jacket's nest in the ground, try sprinkling some corn meal next to it. The idea is to attract a skunk who will stop to check the corn meal out and then dig up the yellow jackets to get the larvae. It works almost every time that I try it. It beats pouring gasoline on the nest and lighting it.
"Yes, yes. Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But, at least there is symmetry."
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 09:26 PM
Report Abusive Post
My coffee percolator is one of the old models that you set on any form of heat to brew. It won't save my life but it very well might save someone else... from a caffeine deprived me.

Back in my off-grid childhood we would use aluminum wash basins to heat water for washing - dishes, clothes, ourselves. You could boil gallons at a time over a wood (gas, electric) stove or an open fire. Don't use galvanized steel!
 Quoting: Lowkey Cyberpunk

I'm with you on the coffee! I even bought some instant just in case I become insanely desperate and don't really want to tear down my own walls getting at the first person who makes a sound outside! LOL Some things are nice to have, would like to have when SHTF, some things are necessities. Nothing is quite as necessary as coffee in the morning - that's vital to the health and well-being of anybody within five miles of me.

So why not galvanized metal for heat water?

Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 09:28 PM
Report Abusive Post

No Sam's Club here, unfortunately, but I'll find more spray somewhere. For wasps or other things. hf

Bush Master

User ID: 75809673
United States
05/29/2019 09:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
When the stuff hits the fan and you can not get your blood pressure meds, 1 teaspoon a day of vinegar will work to lower your high blood pressure. Its an old remade that has been passed down to me from people that practiced this method.

shtf
Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

Oh,and screw tepco & the V.A.

:captain:
Thread: GLP-Jukebox
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 10:16 PM
Report Abusive Post
When the stuff hits the fan and you can not get your blood pressure meds, 1 teaspoon a day of vinegar will work to lower your high blood pressure. Its an old remade that has been passed down to me from people that practiced this method.

shtf
 Quoting: Bush Master

Excellent to know! Especially since SHingTF will raise BPs, no doubt. Walmart has the good organic type. Highly recommended by many. That's cider vinegar, not white. White is for cleaning and like that.

Lowkey Cyberpunk

United States
05/29/2019 11:16 PM
Report Abusive Post

I'm with you on the coffee! I even bought some instant just in case I become insanely desperate and don't really want to tear down my own walls getting at the first person who makes a sound outside! LOL Some things are nice to have, would like to have when SHTF, some things are necessities. Nothing is quite as necessary as coffee in the morning - that's vital to the health and well-being of anybody within five miles of me.

Galvanized steel over fire gives off zinc fumes which isn't so healthy for anyone in the vicinity. It's fine for watering and other uses, just don't use it over a fire. A shame since you can readily find galvanized steel in stores.
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/29/2019 11:21 PM
Report Abusive Post
Galvanized steel over fire gives off zinc fumes which isn't so healthy for anyone in the vicinity. It's fine for watering and other uses, just don't use it over a fire. A shame since you can readily find galvanized steel in stores.

Does galvanized steel appear blued? I'm thinking, for example, of the large stock waterers, a type of which are currently being used for large planters.

Lowkey Cyberpunk

United States
05/29/2019 11:29 PM
Report Abusive Post

My 15 minutes to fame is making Richard Dawkins go "Ewehh" on Facebook for saying that in the apocalypse I would boil my socks for the caffeine content in my sweat.
Lowkey Cyberpunk

United States
05/29/2019 11:31 PM
Report Abusive Post

Does galvanized steel appear blued? I'm thinking, for example, of the large stock waterers, a type of which are currently being used for large planters.

Not blued, more of a scaled look. There is a patchwork crystal look to the surface.

Edit: I would add that I'm color,,, deficient. So what I see is usually far from what others see. That's why my long suffering wife sets out clothing combinations for me to wear. God bless her. Who knows what frightful things I would wear without her help!

Last Edited by Lowkey Cyberpunk on 05/29/2019 11:42 PM
Pooka  (OP)

United States
05/30/2019 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post
My 15 minutes to fame is making Richard Dawkins go "Ewehh" on Facebook for saying that in the apocalypse I would boil my socks for the caffeine content in my sweat.

Barf!!

GLP