Lester
Offer Upgrade

User ID: 483550
United States
08/12/2008 11:54 PM
Report Abusive Post
Report Copyright Violation
Thinking About Survival Kits...
Now is a good time to get your mind tuned in on what you need to continue your life in warmth, comfort and security.

We all need to stay warm and dry to prevent hypothermia. Can't really do anything about this common killer if your body core temperature falls just several degrees. A cool wind that comes up after a Summer rain and you might just be shivering and in danger. The first concern is really to be able to stay dry, or get dry and remain warm enough not to go into hypothermic shock.

After staying Warm & Dry, you need water. The ability to process water you find or secure into consumable water is critical. Personal water filtration, household gravity filtration as well as makeshift gravity drip filtering systems you make out of buckets, towels, sheets, funnels etc is important. Having a gallon or two of plain old hypochlorite bleach like Chlorox, or Purex is also a plus to kill bacteria.

Food. Being human organisms we have to eat. Depending on what your Kit is designed for, you will likely select various types of food and foodstuffs. Having food also means having the means to acquire, process, preserve, and cook whatever wild game or vegetation you find.

Security is the basis for continued Survival. Unless you can protect yourself from threats of all sorts, your situation is not secure. Having weapons that can also serve for food gathering along with your security needs is a great morale booster.

So, let's talk about Kits you might have put together for the various activities you engage in. Your most basic Kit is the contents of your pockets, purse, or briefcase/backpack; whatever you always make an effort to keep on your person. Then there are Kits for extended activities, Kits for vehicles, and Bug-Out Bags.

What do you want in your Kits, and do you have these things together already to go?
mercury2

User ID: 483603
Norway
08/12/2008 11:59 PM

Report Abusive Post
Re: Thinking About Survival Kits...
Lester, you sure have been adding a lot of great content to GLP. Your posts really add to the site and I appreciate them very much.

I have an evacuation kit in a backpack but I need to review it again. So thanks for the nudge in that direction.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 482615
United States
08/13/2008 12:03 AM
Report Abusive Post
Now is a good time to get your mind tuned in on what you need to continue your life in warmth, comfort and security.

We all need to stay warm and dry to prevent hypothermia. Can't really do anything about this common killer if your body core temperature falls just several degrees. A cool wind that comes up after a Summer rain and you might just be shivering and in danger. The first concern is really to be able to stay dry, or get dry and remain warm enough not to go into hypothermic shock.

After staying Warm & Dry, you need water. The ability to process water you find or secure into consumable water is critical. Personal water filtration, household gravity filtration as well as makeshift gravity drip filtering systems you make out of buckets, towels, sheets, funnels etc is important. Having a gallon or two of plain old hypochlorite bleach like Chlorox, or Purex is also a plus to kill bacteria.

Food. Being human organisms we have to eat. Depending on what your Kit is designed for, you will likely select various types of food and foodstuffs. Having food also means having the means to acquire, process, preserve, and cook whatever wild game or vegetation you find.

Security is the basis for continued Survival. Unless you can protect yourself from threats of all sorts, your situation is not secure. Having weapons that can also serve for food gathering along with your security needs is a great morale booster.

So, let's talk about Kits you might have put together for the various activities you engage in. Your most basic Kit is the contents of your pockets, purse, or briefcase/backpack; whatever you always make an effort to keep on your person. Then there are Kits for extended activities, Kits for vehicles, and Bug-Out Bags.

What do you want in your Kits, and do you have these things together already to go?
 Quoting: Lester

What exactly are you trying to survive...hahahahahhaahahahahahahhaha
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 482615
United States
08/13/2008 12:06 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 482615

BOO! You remind me of this guy in Los Angeles who as I walked down the street off of Hollywood Blvd....was swinging from a telephone pole saying "They're trying to kill meeeeeee! They're trying to killll meeeeeee....LMAO
malu

User ID: 476687
United States
08/13/2008 12:14 AM
Report Abusive Post
i was going to post a thread on this, but at least this is getting me to get my thoughts in order, somewhat

i have been thinking about a way to cook healthy foods on the go, with little fuel, fairly convenient, and cheap

so i have been experimenting with this unique little stove i have, many others that are probably nicer and use more fuels, but this is mine:

[link to www.jetboil.com]

it is like cooking with a volcano, i have been very pleased

now, for a fresh water source, i have been using a MSR water filter:

[link to www.vtarmynavy.com]

again, i am sure their are better, but this is what i have

ok, the last item, this is the somewhat novel idea:

a stanley thermos, basically:

[link to www.stanley-pmi.com]

if you google thermos cooking, there are tons of ideas out there, so i am obviously no genius, but i thought this would be a great way to get hot nutrition on the go, yes there is weight, but if anyone can improve on this idea, i am all ears

[link to www.associatedcontent.com]
"By way of deception, thou shalt do war."

Israel's Mossad

"The truth shall set you free."

U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Motto
malu

United States
08/13/2008 12:15 AM
Report Abusive Post

Quoting: Anonymous Coward 482615

is that you UD? sure sounds like your laugh ;)

Israel's Mossad

Lester  (OP)

User ID: 483550
United States
08/13/2008 01:10 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey Malu,

Getting your wood in yet? I am doing some timbering these days. Speaking of compact cookers, have you ever seen Kurt Saxon's overnite method of cooking Wheatberries in a Stanley Thermos? Boiling water and 1/2 cup (I think) wheat and let stand overnite and in the AM you have hot cereal, at about .25cents to make. How about a coffee can cookstove? Add a little bailing wire to one that will stack and you have a kettle.

Survival gear in my pockets? Swiss Army Knife, supertinker, and a bic or zippo lighter, sometimes a .45auto in my back pocket or waist band. Usually have rain gear around.

There was a thread years ago in the hood's woods hoodlums forum about survival kits that fit in an Altoids can, something small enough to always have with you. Survival.com should give you a link to the forum. Lots of interesting discussion and opinionated guys.

What am I trying to survive? Never know! Gotta Be Prepared!
Lester  (OP)

User ID: 484124
United States
08/13/2008 12:45 PM
Report Abusive Post
Did you ever read Lucifer's Hammer by Niven & Pournelle?

The comet impact date was known, still the JPL Lab guys went into work. Only the dumb janitor character came with his family and a packed-up station wagon, and was parked facing out and ready to go. Ready-To-Go... With a Kit you have some readiness and tools to do what you must to be warm, dry, hydrated, fed, and secure.

So, as tensions seem to be ratcheting up with the russians, what have you got ready to go? Do you have a daypack or extra briefcase, laptop bag or extra big Coach or Luis Vuiton bag to stash in your car or under your desk at work? Can you have a firearm on the premises so you're not holding only the bag if you need to defend yourself or give an attacker pause?

Maybe you keep a pair of lightweight hiking boots and some merino wool socks in the trunk, so you don't have to hoof it for several miles in your Italian showboating shoes? No maybe about it, if you are in a position where you must find alternate mode of transport home, decent walking shoes and a kit will be a real morale builder and might save your life!

If yours is a family situation, do you have a plan to follow to meet up with all family members at a selected spot? Does everyone KNOW The Plan, backwards and forwards? Have you actually had a dry-run through and seen if it is flawed or practical?

If shit happens and there is a bug-out indicated, once you're all together; do you have a couple of possible routes out of town? Do you have mapped out routes for reference? Have you driven the routes to see that the streets aren't torn up with construction? Does your route include travel through "bad" neighborhoods? Maybe you need to rethink your routes?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 480137
United States
08/13/2008 12:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
I'll help her get the wood in.

anyway.

the thing about armchair survivalists is that they pack and pack and pack, but never do a drill. spend a day in the woods, or pretending to escape. realize the stuff you need to use and the stuff you dont.
Enigma

User ID: 70637
United States
08/13/2008 01:44 PM
Report Abusive Post
i was going to post a thread on this, but at least this is getting me to get my thoughts in order, somewhat

i have been thinking about a way to cook healthy foods on the go, with little fuel, fairly convenient, and cheap

so i have been experimenting with this unique little stove i have, many others that are probably nicer and use more fuels, but this is mine:

if you google thermos cooking, there are tons of ideas out there, so i am obviously no genius, but i thought this would be a great way to get hot nutrition on the go, yes there is weight, but if anyone can improve on this idea, i am all ears

Quoting: malu

this has been my strategy latey for my PERSONAL BOB and Plan Z. I recently bought two SS thermos for this.

One with a wide mouth for food and one for coffee/tea/hotwater.

My expectations is I may ONLY get one chance per day/24 hour period to heat water for food ( mountain house or rice ) and I have the thermos for keeping made food hot and some hot water for more food or coffee.

I have a small multifuel stove, pot to heat water, small grate for campfire heating, and the thermos bottles.

I think I paid 29 to 35 at Target. Stainless Steel and unbreakeable...

You can also cook rice, by pouring boiling water in on rice and sealing it . Wait a few hours and you have rice.

same for soup or other foods.

Enigma
Enigma

User ID: 70637
United States
08/13/2008 01:46 PM
Report Abusive Post

this are the ones I bought... Sweet deal there you get BOTH for 36 plus shipping. Might be the best life insurance policy you can get.

Also very easy to make oatmeal. with a bit of hot water, sugar, some powdered milk and raisons or nuts.

very nutritious and easy to eat.

got Thermos?
malu

United States
08/13/2008 01:57 PM
Report Abusive Post

this has been my strategy latey for my PERSONAL BOB and Plan Z. I recently bought two SS thermos for this.

One with a wide mouth for food and one for coffee/tea/hotwater.

My expectations is I may ONLY get one chance per day/24 hour period to heat water for food ( mountain house or rice ) and I have the thermos for keeping made food hot and some hot water for more food or coffee.

I have a small multifuel stove, pot to heat water, small grate for campfire heating, and the thermos bottles.

I think I paid 29 to 35 at Target. Stainless Steel and unbreakeable...

You can also cook rice, by pouring boiling water in on rice and sealing it . Wait a few hours and you have rice.

same for soup or other foods.

Enigma
 Quoting: Enigma

exactly what i have been thinking, mre's suck and are not good for you, freeze dried is way out of my price range, but dried beans, rice, oatmeal is not. add some dried fruit or veggies and you can have a complete hot meal in a thermos. once the cold weather sets in here, a hot meal is a huge advantage

walmart has some pretty good deals on them too, i want to get several sets

Israel's Mossad

Lester  (OP)

United States
08/13/2008 06:41 PM
Report Abusive Post
The wide-mouth Stanleys may lose too much heat for cooking, but they are decent for keeping bulky food halfway warm.

I used to backpack solo. Mountainhouse meals were too bulky. I took Lipton powdered soups, Malt-o-Meal, Granola, raisins, almonds, instant mashed potatoes, gravy packet, freeze dried green beans and green peas, and used Rich-Moor Meat & Bacon bars to make a stew. Powdered milk, honey, bit of cooking oil or melted butter, Gatorade packets to mix in nalgene bottle. Inst coffee and tea bags. Couple of nesting pots and a hikers cup and a couple of spoons and I was set!

Lots of ziploc bags keep everything organized.

In a Kit, I might just put some jerky, instant tea, a few Snickers or trail bars and some nuts, plus hard candies.

I have read about pre-soaking rice and beans for hours ahead of time, in ziploc kept in backpack, so your wholefoods will cook faster when you stop for the day. Jerky will rehydrate, same with any dried fruits or other dehydrated foods.

What are the essential capabilities you need?
Purifying water to drink,
Making fire to cook and warm by,
Gear to cook with,
Staying dry,
Self-Defense,
Observation (optics like monocular, binos, spotting scope),
Maps and Compass,
Comfortable sleeping gear,
Communications?
Duncan Kunz

User ID: 328931
United States
08/13/2008 06:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
Well, my pocket kit conprises a cell phone, a couple of credit cards, a leatherman tool and a pair of glasses with lenses that can be combined to start a fire.

My car kit includes three or four bottles of water, an e-Trex GPS, a camera, a toolbox with the usual complement of emergency car-fix stuff including duct tape, a small first aid kit, and two flashlights, including a 4-cell MagLite; but I do not have a Taurus Model 65 revolver.

Since I live only about an hour from where I want to be if things start to get silly, my "bug-out kit" is the stuff from my car-kit plus three gallons or more of water, a couple of change of clothes, some snack-bars. My wife and daughter have some quick-change stuff, but they do not have Taurus Model 65 revolvers either, nor do we have a Mossberg 500 shotgun.

My son does not live at home, so I am not sure what he has.
Where's the EVIDENCE, Jim?
Lester  (OP)

United States
08/13/2008 07:46 PM
Report Abusive Post
Hi Duncan,

Was thinking yesterday or monday that I hadn't seen a post from you in a while, then one shows up. Good to know you don't have what you need.
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 484121
United States
08/13/2008 08:18 PM
Report Abusive Post
I keep an emergency kit in my truck, but it's for getting home, not bugging out. I'll be bugging in.

Jumper cables
Tow strap
tire chains
assortment of wrenches and sockets
entrenching tool
pantyhose (emergency fan belt)
A few lengths of 12 and 16 gauge wire and assorted crimp connectors
Wire strippers/crimpers
Screwdrivers
Razor knife
hydraulic bottle jack
10x12 tarp
75' 3/8" poly rope
paracord
Flashlight

and in a backpack, in case I must walk

6 Powerbars
1 lb beef jerky
Katadyn Hiker water filter
Nalgene bottle
compass
Iodine tablets for water purification
sunscreen
bug repellant
spare socks and t-shirt
spare tennis shoes
hat
light jacket
Leatherman multi tool
roll of fishing line and assorted tackle
9 hour candle
space blanket
rain poncho
pencil and paper
bic lighters
magnesium fire starter kit
small mirror
fixed blade skinning knife and scabbard
more paracord
deck of cards
.45 w/ holster and 3 loaded magazines
$100 cash in small bills
12V rechargeable pocket am/fm/ weather band radio
extra 50 round box of ammo
Frigg Stuyvesant

User ID: 398933
United States
08/13/2008 08:49 PM
Report Abusive Post
I keep an emergency kit in my truck, but it's for getting home, not bugging out. I'll be bugging in.

Jumper cables
Tow strap
tire chains
entrenching tool
Wire strippers/crimpers
Screwdrivers
Razor knife
hydraulic bottle jack
10x12 tarp
75' 3/8" poly rope
paracord
Flashlight

6 Powerbars
1 lb beef jerky
Nalgene bottle
compass
sunscreen
bug repellant
spare socks and t-shirt
spare tennis shoes
hat
light jacket
Leatherman multi tool
9 hour candle
space blanket
rain poncho
pencil and paper
bic lighters
small mirror
more paracord
deck of cards
$100 cash in small bills
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 484121

Impressive... Bumper fishy
Cui Bono?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 480137
United States
08/13/2008 08:52 PM
Report Abusive Post
where do you keep the passengers?
malu

United States
08/14/2008 12:17 AM
Report Abusive Post

Jumper cables
Tow strap
tire chains
entrenching tool
Wire strippers/crimpers
Screwdrivers
Razor knife
hydraulic bottle jack
10x12 tarp
75' 3/8" poly rope
paracord
Flashlight

6 Powerbars
1 lb beef jerky
Nalgene bottle
compass
sunscreen
bug repellant
spare socks and t-shirt
spare tennis shoes
hat
light jacket
Leatherman multi tool
9 hour candle
space blanket
rain poncho
pencil and paper
bic lighters
small mirror
more paracord
deck of cards
$100 cash in small bills
 Quoting: Anonymous Coward 484121

looks pretty much what i carry, plus a bike and kayak , extra backpacks, shovels, axe, machete, extra first aid, spotlights, no guns of course, i'm with duncan on this, they are just far too dangerous

Israel's Mossad

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 370475
United States
08/14/2008 12:22 AM
Report Abusive Post
I'm looking for a large vagina I can crawl into. Maybe take along some canned tuna and powered milk.....
planetbarb

User ID: 462769
United States
08/14/2008 12:23 AM
Report Abusive Post
Well, my pocket kit conprises a cell phone, a couple of credit cards, a leatherman tool and a pair of glasses with lenses that can be combined to start a fire.

My car kit includes three or four bottles of water, an e-Trex GPS, a camera, a toolbox with the usual complement of emergency car-fix stuff including duct tape, a small first aid kit, and two flashlights, including a 4-cell MagLite; but I do not have a Taurus Model 65 revolver.

Since I live only about an hour from where I want to be if things start to get silly, my "bug-out kit" is the stuff from my car-kit plus three gallons or more of water, a couple of change of clothes, some snack-bars. My wife and daughter have some quick-change stuff, but they do not have Taurus Model 65 revolvers either, nor do we have a Mossberg 500 shotgun.

My son does not live at home, so I am not sure what he has.
 Quoting: Duncan Kunz

Sounds good.
You might want to add a cache of cash - no telling what could happen to the electricity, electronics, ATMs banking etc.
There are some pro fire starting kits, and small cook stoves and stash of groceries and water purification. Blanket, tent more water....
Cans gas.
mercury2

User ID: 484371
France
08/14/2008 12:31 AM

Report Abusive Post
An evacuation kit that you keep ready at home should probably include things like important documents, titles to property, bank account information, passports and birth certificates, and most importantly an up to date address book with contact information for family and friends including email addresses.

When Katrina happened and people evacuated without these things it caused them a lot of problems. I remember reading one guy saying that because he had a copy of his lease on him, they let him back in to check his property, but if he hadn't, they wouldn't have.

And, cash of course.
malu

United States
08/14/2008 12:34 AM
Report Abusive Post
An evacuation kit that you keep ready at home should probably include things like important documents, titles to property, bank account information, passports and birth certificates, and most importantly an up to date address book with contact information for family and friends including email addresses.

When Katrina happened and people evacuated without these things it caused them a lot of problems. I remember reading one guy saying that because he had a copy of his lease on him, they let him back in to check his property, but if he hadn't, they wouldn't have.

And, cash of course.
 Quoting: mercury2

yeah, that is great advice, i would add medical info as well, probably not a bad idea to have some pics of family and friends, in case you are searching for them

Israel's Mossad

Anonymous Coward
User ID: 483319
United States
08/14/2008 01:20 AM
Report Abusive Post
You can scan documents (bank statements, copy of passport, insurance, mortgage, important photographs) and email them to yourself into a yahoo or similar account, and IF the S hasn't H T F too badly, you can access your email account from anywhere. This would of course only work in a medium-awful situation as opposed to a EBE so it's just a suggestion. Easy to do, you could do it tonight.

I have a ton of survival information 'stored' in my email account, you never know, it may be helpful, depending what actually ends up happening to rock our world. If I can't get on the internet, oh well, I've got my BOB.
Evil Twin

User ID: 484414
United States
08/14/2008 01:27 AM
Report Abusive Post

Jumper cables
Tow strap
tire chains
entrenching tool
Wire strippers/crimpers
Screwdrivers
Razor knife
hydraulic bottle jack
10x12 tarp
75' 3/8" poly rope
paracord
Flashlight

6 Powerbars
1 lb beef jerky
Nalgene bottle
compass
sunscreen
bug repellant
spare socks and t-shirt
spare tennis shoes
hat
light jacket
Leatherman multi tool
9 hour candle
space blanket
rain poncho
pencil and paper
bic lighters
small mirror
more paracord
deck of cards
$100 cash in small bills

looks pretty much what i carry, plus a bike and kayak , extra backpacks, shovels, axe, machete, extra first aid, spotlights, no guns of course, i'm with duncan on this, they are just far too dangerous

Yeah, that was me malu. I forgot to list the first-aid stuff.
I have 3 bikes now(good to have a brother that runs the biggest bike shop in the state :)), and a kayak, but don't usually carry them around...
Smerk

User ID: 480112
Australia
08/14/2008 06:02 AM
Report Abusive Post
no guns of course, i'm with duncan on this, they are just far too dangerous

Hypothetically speaking, suppose you did have to bug out, what will you do when somone who didn't prepare decides to rape your daughter and take what you've got?
How do you plan to protect your family in the weeks, months, even years following, from those who would seek to harm them?
Anonymous Coward
User ID: 477594
United States
08/14/2008 06:18 AM
Report Abusive Post

Cooking healthy foods on the go?

There's a backpacking cookbook or two on the market that can help. The best thing I've gathered from these is to dehydrate cooked meals, pack them, and rehydrate/heat them up in the field. They're quick, light & easy that way. I now dehydrate all my leftovers, then vacuum pack them. I'm going to begin building home-made MRE's with them. They should last at least a couple of years in climate-controlled storage this way. The books have great recipes for this.

Also, let's not forget the necessity for clean air. Chinese smog aside, there might come a time, even if just temporarily, when we find that clean, non-poisoned air is needed. A suitable military-grade gas mask I believe is a good investment for any potential terrorist CBRN attacks.
Just remember that they do not block carbon monoxide in combustion smoke. There are separate emergency hood systems for that.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/14/2008 06:32 AM
Report Abusive Post

I sometimes do the Thermos-cooking thing. I've found that you should preheat the thermos with one batch of boiling water. Then put in the boiling food- I boil it for 5 min first to kill any micro-organisms in the food. Then put it in the steaming hot Thermos & quickly close it up. Then I put the thermos inside my sleeping bag or insulated poncho liner for further insulation. The more, the better. And a few hours later produces nice, hot mixed batch of wet food.

Beans still have to be pre-soaked however, so I have to rotate them thru a several-hour soak-cycle first, before cooking them.

If I'm car-camping, I might take two Thermoses for cooking/soaking diversity, and the separating of different foods.

I like them because I can slow-cook the food overnight, while keeping my feet warm inside my sleeping bag. And I can also slow-cook them inside my rucksack when I'm on the trail. Stop for chow and presto, I have a meal ready to eat.

And, the cooking food doesn't give off any odors to spook the wildlife when it's inside the Thermos.
Anonymous Coward
United States
08/14/2008 06:49 AM
Report Abusive Post
Hey Malu,

Getting your wood in yet? I am doing some timbering these days. Speaking of compact cookers, have you ever seen Kurt Saxon's overnite method of cooking Wheatberries in a Stanley Thermos? Boiling water and 1/2 cup (I think) wheat and let stand overnite and in the AM you have hot cereal, at about .25cents to make. How about a coffee can cookstove? Add a little bailing wire to one that will stack and you have a kettle.

Survival gear in my pockets? Swiss Army Knife, supertinker, and a bic or zippo lighter, sometimes a .45auto in my back pocket or waist band. Usually have rain gear around.

There was a thread years ago in the hood's woods hoodlums forum about survival kits that fit in an Altoids can, something small enough to always have with you. Survival.com should give you a link to the forum. Lots of interesting discussion and opinionated guys.

What am I trying to survive? Never know! Gotta Be Prepared!
 Quoting: Lester

I've never tried Kurt's cooked wheat meal. I might try a multi-grain meal.

Rocket stove's are the way to go for field-expedient stoves.

I've seen small tin survival kits at either WallyWorld or Academy.

What's a 'supertinker?'

I keep a Leatherman tool, Bic lighter, Minimag flashlight, extra pocketknife, pen, change, emergency cash, emergency whistle, S&W kubaton key, P-38 can opener, cellphone, spare cellphone, and pepper spray on my person. Other things are added as needed when needed.

My vehicle has the usual: tools, 2 spare tires, jumper cables, jerry can w/fuel, oil-tranny fluid-brake fluid, etc, water, MRE's, multi-function box (jumper, inverter, air pump), over-sized jack with backup, cold-weather gear in Fall-Winter-Spring, road flares and reflectors, gas mask, surgical masks, first-aid kit, toilet paper, electrical repair kit, star-wrench, extra maps & map books, basic OTC meds, extra fuses, electrical extension cord, ratchet straps, tow chain, funnels, spare parts, etc.

What's the Boy Scout Motto?
DB
User ID: 480936
United States
08/14/2008 07:28 AM
Report Abusive Post
Just advice-get a decent rifle and if using a pistol 200 rnds. is recommended by most experts. Solid fuel bars not a bad way to go-don't forget strike anywhere matches.
Duncan Kunz

User ID: 23141
United States
08/14/2008 12:15 PM
Report Abusive Post
AC 48421 has added a component that most of us have not considered: a pack of playing cards.
As many of you know, a pack of cards is probably the best tool to get found if you are lost in the wilderness.

All you have to do is to find a flat place with no wind, facing East, and lay out a solitaire hand.

Within ten minutes, someone will come along and tell you to play the red eight on the black nine.
Where's the EVIDENCE, Jim?

GLP