Users Online Now: 1,847 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 336,316
Pageviews Today: 530,617Threads Today: 175Posts Today: 2,616
06:42 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject GLP Voice Chat topic "Free Speech" Saturday Night at 11:30 PM GLP time!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message I will host a discussion on free/freedom of speech Saturday night at 11:30 PM on GLP Voice Chat.
I set it up about a week ago, but I see that some current events are making it even more of hot topic right now.

What I would like to discuss is free speech/free expression and what exactly that is as per the established and non established definition(s). How it pertains to all of us as well as how different groups perceive it regarding them and the various protectionism concepts regarding some of the various groups.

I know this is a vast and virtually limitless topic so I have a loose outline as what I would like to cover...yeah I know that can be viewed as a curtailment of freedom of speech....lol...I knew you thought that...but I think there are some major bullet points which must be covered and in the spirit of the subject?...I have enlisted some members to speak on the topics which they have a far more tangible connection to than I do.

With that being said I made this thread a couple of days prior to the chat so that we can have input from the forum as to subject matter and.... if there is anyone who wishes to pontificate on a specific subject which they consider themselves an intimate part of? Well...if you can mic up in the voice chat and want to be heard, now is your chance to pipe up and I will include you as a key note speaker on that specific portion. Of course anyone and everyone is welcome and encouraged to interject their opinions on every and any subject covered.

So here is my general outline as to this free speech, freedom of speech, freedom of expression Voice chat discussion thus far:

1) What exactly IS free speech as it's defined as a right?

2) Regarding politics, Protests, political activism.

3) Regarding Religion, is religion free expression? Sensitivities from different religions..Christians, Jews, Muslims....
Guest speaker regarding the Jewish issues...Member "GAIA"
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

4) Regarding sexual orientation and lifestyle and expression thereof, is this a protected form of expression?
Guest speaker Member "Nikki_LaVey"
[link to www.godlikeproductions.com]

5) Regarding Race and what is considered racist commentary, public or personal and how these views may affect individuals.

6) Commercial venue free speech, is there such a thing? PACS, Lobbies, advertising, corporations as protected entities?

7) Hate crime laws, obscenity laws and laws limiting "free speech" Where to draw the line and should there be a line?

8) Wrap up as to what the discussion has wrought and where do we stand as what we think should be protected, how and what should not be always allowed if anything.

I think if we spend 10 minutes give or take a bit...ya know they may run over if things get hot...lol...on each of these 6 specific topics and about 20 minutes on defining and conclusion we will have a 2 hour discussion with some room to move as we go with the flow....easily.

If anyone wishes to take speaking on a specific topic than let me know...if anyone has something to add they want to hear discussed?...speak up.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP