Users Online Now: 2,233 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 833,563
Pageviews Today: 1,379,308Threads Today: 570Posts Today: 9,664
02:02 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Type I Diabetics wearing Insulin Pumps will now be subject to the SEXUAL MOLESTATION PAT DOWNS - was already bad before - what will happen to these fo
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message My sister and brother both have Type I Diabetes and both wear insulin pumps.

My sister has had several anxious incidents going through security in the past. TSA agents that see an insulin pump get really freaked out about them (never mind the fact that thousands of people go through airports each year with prototypes of machines in their carry ons each year).

People with Diabetes face several hurdles - a) insulin itself (liquid, and usually kept in a cooler pocket) and b) emergency drinks (for my sister, she always keeps a small 4.2 ounce of orange juice with her - which just happens to be .2 ounces over that 4 ounce limit they set - she's joked about whether it's ok to just take a swig first to ensure she's under the limit)....

She's very anxious when going through airports because she is almost always singled out. Not only is this stressful, but it's embarrassing to stand their being ogled by all the other passengers...It's also time consuming.

But now, the manufacturers of her pump (MERCK) have advised her to NOT carry her $8000 pump through the body scanner as there have been NO tests to determine if the scanners are safe for these pumps. (I don't have a link to this as it was a conversation she had with them on the phone - but seems to be common sense to not risk it without testing).

She is slated to travel the day after Christmas. She will be alone, with a 2 week old baby (she's due the first week of December). TSA agents can't separate her from baby, and can't HELP her either (meaning, they can't hold the baby while she removes pump for bomb swab testing, etc...). Yes, you read that right. They will swab her pump (and probably everything else she has with her) for explosive residue. This was ALREADY happening (see this link for an account of this this past summer: [link to boardingarea.com]

Read those comments. These are people who were ALREADY being singled out because of their DISABILITY.

What will happen to these poor folks now?

My sister is really beginning to get scared over her travel plans this Christmas. She's thinking how she will be able to handle the baby while being groped (since she can't go through the scanner) and forced to go through excessive procedures for testing her pump.

(Which reminds me - will all new moms have to be groped? Are moms with infants even allowed to go through the scanner - not that they would want to, but would they even be given a choice?)

I think this is just RIPE for an attorney (which my sister is, although this isn't her specialty) to SUE, SUE, SUE on grounds of discrimination based on a disability.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP