Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject House GOP plans two-pronged assault on health law
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message By KENDRA MARR | 1/2/11 1:15 PM EST

The new Republican-controlled House plans to schedule a vote to repeal the sweeping health care overhaul before President Barack Obama delivers his annual State of the Union address late this month, incoming House Energy and Commerce Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.) said Sunday.

“We have 242 Republicans,” he said on “Fox News Sunday.” “There will be a significant number of Democrats, I think, that will join us. You will remember when that vote passed in the House last March, it only passed by seven votes.”

Upton, whose committee will play a key role in the GOP's effort to roll back the law, said that he believes the House may be near the two-thirds majority required to override a presidential veto.

“If we pass this bill with a sizeable vote, and I think that we will, it will put enormous pressure on the Senate to do perhaps the same thing,” he said. “But then, after that, we're going to go after this bill piece by piece.”

Upton specifically called out the requirement for businesses to complete 1099 tax forms, the individual mandate and the Stupak amendment on abortion. "We will look at these individual pieces to see if we can't have the thing crumble," he said.

Republicans officially take control of the House on Wednesday.

“The more the people learn about Obamacare, the less they like it,” said Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) on CBS's "Face the Nation." “It's very costly, it's unwieldy. So we will put forth a clean repeal bill of Obamacare. And you'll continue to see us make that fight because that's what the American people want us to do.”

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), the next chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said he has plans to hold hearings on Medicare fraud and waste in January and February.

“Here you have $100 billion of waste,” he told CNN’s “State of the Union.” “You know, Obamacare, for all of it what it wanted to do, it didn't touch the fact that basically they pay to non-existent entities in the tens of billions of dollars every year. That has got to be changed.”

And incoming Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) vowed to stick to his private-sector roots and not to sign up for the government-sponsored health care program that is available to members of Congress. “I've always paid for my own health care,” he told CBS.

But amid all the Sunday chatter, the president had a few defenders. Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine, appearing on CNN, said “health care reform is going to go down in history as one of the great achievements of this president.”

And Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said repeal is a lost cause for Republicans.

“We cut prescription drug bills for senior citizens by 50 percent,” she told CBS. “We've already made sure that young adults up until their 26 can be on their parents' insurance. A constituent in my district came up to me a few weeks ago and thanked me for saving her $3,000 a year because she could put her two adult children back on her insurance," she said.

"That's what the Republicans are going to be proposing to repeal this week," Wasserman Schultz added. "It's not going to happen. If it's about jobs and the economy and reducing the deficit, wasting time and money and adding to the deficit by repealing health care reform or on the attempt is irresponsible.”
[link to www.politico.com]
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP