Users Online Now: 2,328 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 1,428,700
Pageviews Today: 2,385,120Threads Today: 957Posts Today: 17,011
10:15 PM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject Indoor garden is progressing..:)
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This week, I've been working on getting the indoor garden truly set up.
My baby plants were coming out of their second bigger houses, so It really needed to get moving along!

I went to Lowes and found some nice shop light fixtures, that have a corded end, so I won't have to wire them together, they were $49 apiece, and hold 4, 4' bulbs .
I got 2 of them, 8 'sunshine' bulbs.
I bought 6 2x4x8's, and cut them down a bit in size...nailed them together to make a wooden U shape..I used barb-wire fence staples to use as 'hangers' on the top 2x4.( I did this, because I needed to not obstruct the overhead door. It is still easily close-able, should a bad storm come rolling in)
After they were together, I stood them up and put each leg of the U into a single concrete block, and filled in around the 2x4 with small gravel.
The lights hang from the top of the U, on chains, so I can adjust the light, up or down, as the plants require it.( the chains hook into the staple with an S hook)

I took a huge piece of clear heavy plastic and first duct taped it over the garage door opening...both inside and outside, over the opening, and then I went back and used tacks to tack into the wood facing of the garage door on the outside.

It's looking really good!!! ..:D

My friend Michelle, brought me a bunch of Kitty Litter buckets that she had been saving ( LOL she has 9 cats and uses 3 of them a week!!!)...and they are the perfect size for holding a tomato plant, or an eggplant plant...:)
So, now, I have this cool little set-up happening in the garage!...:D
Since moving the babies into their bigger houses...it looks like I have a kick ass lil garden already happening!

This entire project...including the 8 bags of 2 cu.ft., Miracle Grow dirt to fill all those buckets up( 31, 20 liter)....has cost me less than $300...about $250 to be exact.
About the same as 1 trip to the grocery store these days...:P
I don't think it's too great of an expense to not be worth doing.
It's the ONLY way, I'll know 100% for sure, that my veggies are free of radioactive fallout.
Is $250 too much to spend for that kind of assurance of food safety?
I've also been storing water...everytime I empty a distilled water jug...I refill it with more water, to use later in the year to water the plants with...when the radiation levels in our tap water become high...I'll have some water not so heavily contaminated, to care for the garden with...:)
I've been squirreling the water away, since the day I saw those 2 reactors explode over there...so I have a pretty good stash happening.

So far, I have, tomatos, sweet peppers, eggplants, cauliflower, and broccoli growing in the basement..:)
I plan on having some greenbeans, squash, and melons too.
I have a whiskey barrel that has been cut in half..I'm thinking it will be a good place to make a mini- greenbean Teepee in...:)
And I have seveal long windowboxes, that I think will work for the squash and stuff that isn't real deep rooted, they can consider the windowbox their 'hill'..spill out across the floor with their vines...:)

Anyone else doing an 'indoor garden' this year?
I'd love to hear about your set-up....have your's is doing so far...:)
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP