Users Online Now: 1,800 (Who's On?)Visitors Today: 48,181
Pageviews Today: 73,727Threads Today: 33Posts Today: 409
12:37 AM

Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject GLP'ers in PA, DE, NJ, NY, batten down the hatches! Irene storm track headed our way! MAKE YOUR PREPARATIONS NOW!!
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message Computer models are expected to change in the next few hours but all models indicate Irene will scrape the US along the shorelines headed into New England bringing high winds, heavy rains, and power outages.

Scroll down on this link for the latest track:

[link to www.wunderground.com]

Last night I sent an email around to family members and friends with suggestions for preparations for Irene. I'm posting snips of the email here in hopes that it may help others to prepare also.

Check your generators and get gas.

Bug out bags, check them for additional needed items and get to the store today.

Need meds? Get them ready to go in the bag, along with any feminine hygine products, diapers, deodorants, toothpaste and brushes, combs, etc.

Buy a bunch of batteries for your flashlights, and get new flashlights if you need them.

Charge your cell phones and lap tops and keep them charged to full.

Put several changes of clothes for each member of your family in a suitcase. If you don't have to use them, put them back in the drawers on Sunday. Grab undies, socks, shoes, etc.

Now, start thinking of foods which can be easily eaten by your families. Canned goods, and dry goods you can put in a plastic bin for the next couple of days, including dry milk or shelf type milk that doesn't require refrigeration.

Think of foods that can be warmed on a grill if there is no electricity or eaten cold. Beans, tuna, spam, soup, any protein items the kids will eat, too, like spagetti and meatballs, cereals, use your imagination, cookies for snacks, etc., but anything dry should be put in a baggie (gallon size) and into a large plastic container. A jar of instant coffee would keep me happy. Maybe you, too.

Get your coolers ready for ice. Once they know exactly when Irene will visit our area go out several hours in advance and get some ice and pizza! Pizza can be put in plastic baggies and thrown on the ice and kept cold for a quick meal. Don't skimp if the storm looks dangerous. At least you'll have something to eat.

Water. Get a couple of cases and set them aside. Forget you have them if this thing blows over. They will last for a long while if kept dry and cool.

Pets. Buy double the food you normally purchase. If supply lines are broken between the warehouses and grocery stores, the pets will need food, too.

Grab some items to keep kids occupied, coloring books, books, games, whatever. Stick them in a bag, just in case.

Might want a couple of pair of rubber gloves, some paper towels, and trash bags. If the sewers back up you don't know what you'll have to pick up or pick through. The trash bags will also make excellent ponchos for rain gear.

Take a look around outside. If high winds hit, umbrellas, trash cans, flower pots, etc., can become projectiles. Take everything that's not connected to the ground indoors.

Try to keep your cars away from trees or anything that can fall on it. Get your gas for your cars soon. Keep them filled up. Get several propane tanks for the grills.

Now that I've said all the above, just remember that the emergency management people will be already prepped on dealing with a situation but, if it's widespread, their resources will be spread thin. I will (hopefully) be able to be on top of proposed shelters and resource availability if all goes well.

We will be fine. We just want to be prepared, just like the Scout's motto! :)

I removed all the personal info, but need to add to this a suggestion that you and your families decide on a plan as to where to meet if needed. Make it a central location because trees and wires may be down all over making travel difficult.

If anyone has suggestions please post them.

Good luck everyone.
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP