Back to Forum
Back to Forum
Back to Thread
Back to Thread
REPLY TO THREAD
Subject time dilation
User Name

Font color:  Font:

In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant portions of the article you wish to discuss and no more than 50% of the source material, provide a link back to the original article and provide your original comments / criticism in your post with the article.
Original Message This is something we should all know.

wink

Time dilation is one of the many laws that govern the universe. First speculated by Einstein, this law says that time is far more than most people take it to be. Instead of being a constant all throughout the universe, it varies from place to place, depending on the conditions an area is subjected to. The conditions that play an effect on time are gravity and speed. The greater the influence of gravity, the greater time is dilated relative to a less gravitationally influenced area. The greater time is dilated, the slower it passes. An objects speed also affects the way time passes. The faster you go, the slower your time will pass. This does not mean that if you were to live on a spaceship traveling at the speed of light, you would live longer than you would on Earth. What it means is, that for the seventy five years that your clock passes up until your death, time outside your space ship would have elapsed billions, possibly trillions of years. Everyone you knew back on earth would have lived the same 75 years you did, they just did it before you.

Time dilation, like other laws, is bound by strict mathematical paths. For every unit of speed, time is dilated a certain percentage. By knowing the correct equation, you can tell by what percentage time is dilated at any given speed. The equation is as follows: You take the speed, in our case, we will use 240,000 kilometers per second. we divide it by the speed of light(which is 300,000 kilometers per second) and get 0.8. we then take 0.8, and square it, which Equals 0.64. We then minus 0.64 from one, which equals 0.36, and lastly we take the square root of 0.36, and we get 0.6. 0.6 is Uor answerer. This means that if you were traveling at 240,000 kilometers pers second, or 80% the speed of light, your time would be dilated at a factor of .6, which is 36 minutes to the hour. This Equation can be counted on down to 2 percent accuracy. Now the closer we get to the speed of light, the greater time dilation becomes. And as some of you may have guessed, were you to calculate 300,000 into that equation, you would end up with an infinite time warp. Meaning time becomes becomes non existent. A light wave never ages a second, it is one of the many mysteries of infinity.

Now that we can do the math, let's apply it to a hypothetical situation. Say you wanted to travel to a near by star that was 10 light years away, and your ship traveled at 80% the speed of light. Thanks to our math, we know that traveling at said speed, our time would be dilation by a factor of .6, 36 minutes to the hour. So at a distance of ten light years, or 5,256,000 light minutes, it would take us only 60% of that. (because the time used to measure the distance is Earth's time, and since we are flying in a space ship going 80%the speed of light, our time is not Earth time, but space ship time. luckily we're smart enough to be able to convert earth minutes into space ship minutes) 60% of 5,256,000 is 3,153,600, or six space ship years.

Now when I say it will only take me six years to get to the star, I am talking about space ship years, and not Earth years. They are differemt, and that's why time is only RELATIVE. When I say time is dilated by 60%, I don't mean 60% of mars time, or 60% alien time, or 60% of sun time. There are an infinite number of different 'times'. So when I say 60%, what time is it 60% of??? There are no two places time passes exactly the same. Why is that? Why does time change from place to place? This brings us back the the beginning. Gravity and speed affect time. there is an infinite different number of masses, 1 pound, 2 million pounds, 0.005 pounds ect ect. there are also an infinite different number of speeds. when I say miles an hour, of course I mean 1 mile per Earth hour, and not a Jupiter hour. When I travel 1 mile an hour in a car, in one hour, I would have moved across the Earth one mile from where I started. But how did I move from that place in space? Don't forget, the Earth revolves around the sun, so in that hour, the Earth has also moved. And the sun revolves around the galaxy. And the galaxy hurls through space. So how far did you really go in that hour? however far you went in the hour, is how fast you went, you will never know how far you'd actually traveled, and so we discover that MOTION IS ONLY RELATIVE. you moved at a speed of one mile an hour relative to Earth time, relative to a position on Earth.

Hey wait, we know something that always goes the same speed, LIGHT! Couldn't we use that as a reference?
Pictures (click to insert)
5ahidingiamwithranttomatowtf
bsflagIdol1hfbumpyodayeahsure
banana2burnitafros226rockonredface
pigchefabductwhateverpeacecool2tounge
 | Next Page >>

GLP